cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with calls cutting out

steff12321
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello, 

I have been having issues with calls where I have good reception 2-4 bars usually LTE, but the other party says my voice is cutting in and out.

I can hear them just fine, but they say they're having trouble hearing me. 

It's happened with various callers and in multiple locations, especially at my office where I frequently have 3-5 bars and my service works fine for everything else. It's happened in a few other places too where the signal is fine.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I have a Google Pixel 3 and am on a 3G plan.

I heard some people have issues solved by putting their phone on 3G only mode, I haven't tried this but it shouldn't affect the calls since the phone defaults back to 3G or HSPA during calls anyway.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

Another thing worth mentioning is that,some people have a horrible habit of smearing their face on the phone to a point where they are muffling there voice through the phone(by smuthing the mic)  

@slash407 are you trying to say "smothering" the mic here?  If so, that would be REALLY hard to do with your face on just about any modern smartphone, since mic is almost always on the *bottom* of the unit rather than the front.  You'd have to somehow contort your face around the bottom edge and cover up the entire bottom section of the phone to have this affect.  I'm a bit battled by this suggestion.  

@steff12321 wrote:

The speakerphone issue was happening on Fido as well as PM so that is definitely due to hardware, not software. 

However, the calls cutting out only started happening when I joined PM. 

@steff12321 one very important difference is that your phone was probably using VoLTE (Voice over LTE) with Fido, since they offer this while PM does not.  You could potentially notice a fairly significant difference in call quality as a result.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@steff12321 wrote:

The speakerphone issue was happening on Fido as well as PM so that is definitely due to hardware, not software. 

I will try and get a friends phone to test this out, but honestly might not be possible except for a short period of time, and may not be long enough for this issue to happen since it is infrequent (but annoying). 

Edit: I will try out the 3G setting as well. 

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-3-microphone-issue-964341/

steff12321

I will try and get a friends phone to test this out, but honestly might not be possible except for a short period of time, and may not be long enough for this issue to happen since it is infrequent (but annoying). 

Edit: I will try out the 3G setting as well. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@steff12321, why don't you try to switch to 3G only and see if it makes a difference.  It is a long shot, likely won't be the solution.  Since it is an easy test, might as well give it a shot. 

@steff12321 wrote:

The issues are mainly with the speakerphone, but I have already gotten a replacement to no avail (although this was within 30 days of getting the phone). This solved a couple of issues because the phone was not shipped properly, but the poor call quality over speakerphone is still there. 

I was with Fido previously and wasn't having call quality issues in the places I am now, but for some reason with PM it's either worse to the point where people are telling me about it, or it just started happening. 

I believe if I were to get a replacement from them it would be a refurbished unit under the warranty, and (I believe) it would still have the same issues I am having now. This is why I am a bit hesitant to get the replacement, I do not think they would have made any hardware changes to rectify this issue. 

Are you able to take the sim out and test it in a friends phone, as suggested by @mimmo . That way you can determine if the problem is with the phone or with something else.

sandpublic

@steff12321 wrote:

The issues are mainly with the speakerphone, but I have already gotten a replacement to no avail (although this was within 30 days of getting the phone). This solved a couple of issues because the phone was not shipped properly, but the poor call quality over speakerphone is still there. 

I was with Fido previously and wasn't having call quality issues in the places I am now, but for some reason with PM it's either worse to the point where people are telling me about it, or it just started happening. 

I believe if I were to get a replacement from them it would be a refurbished unit under the warranty, and (I believe) it would still have the same issues I am having now. This is why I am a bit hesitant to get the replacement, I do not think they would have made any hardware changes to rectify this issue. 

Fido is Rogers and PM is Telus. Would it be possible to borrow a Rogers sim from a colleague just to test out the speakerphone? If it goes away then it's propably a reception issue in your area but if it's still there then you should ask for a replacement.

steff12321

sandpublic

@steff12321 wrote:

Hello, 

I have been having issues with calls where I have good reception 2-4 bars usually LTE, but the other party says my voice is cutting in and out.

It's happened with various callers and in multiple locations, especially at my office where I frequently have 3-5 bars and my service works fine for everything else. It's happened in a few other places too where the signal is fine.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I have a Google Pixel 3 and am on a 3G plan.

I heard some people have issues solved by putting their phone on 3G only mode, I haven't tried this but it shouldn't affect the calls since the phone defaults back to 3G or HSPA during calls anyway.

Known issue with Pixel 3. You should call Google and get a replacement ASAP because you have a defective unit.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Can you try your sim in a different phone? To see if it still happens. 

Also try with Bluetooth, or speakerphone. 

Trying to isolate Hardware vs account issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@steff12321  - Putting phone in 3G only mode will not affect call reception.  Any chance you could try your PM SIM in another phone to see if the problem might be phone related?  Or, try a friend's PM (or other Telus/Koodo, or even Bell) SIM in your phone to see if you have the same issue.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@steff12321 wrote:

Hello, 

I just gogled Pixel 3 "call quality" and it seems there's known call quality issues with that handset.

Need Help? Let's chat.