cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Roaming in USA

Buz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I really am trying to like Public Mobile, but it's getting quite difficult. I even signed up for a three-month payment because I was optimistically confident it would work!

I upgraded from a $40 per month to a $65/month plan because it was supposed to give 5G coverage in Canada and the USA. 

Firstly, it gave Edge coverage even in the middle of downtown Seattle. Not completely useless, but quite close.

Second, I elected to change from my old plan just one day into the month, and I find out later that there is no prorated credit towards my three month sign up cost. That's uncool.

I'm on this forum hoping that someone can tell me what I can do to get better than Edge coverage in the USA. Otherwise I'm going to have to cancel Public Mobile even though it seems so awesome...

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

To get best results, if your phone is set to 5G then set it to 4G LTE. Set networks to automatic. Do you know if your phone has been enabled for volte here yet? That affects talk. Data and real sms text should be fine.

Adding - and of course turn on roaming data

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Buz you should have used Change on Renewal option. But try your luck to submit ticket with agent and see if they can do anything with that

for connecting in US, people tested and Seattle works well. Try manual connecting both T-Mobile and AT&T.  Make sure it connects and try both data and voice.  Make sure enable roaming data on your phone 

Buz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the reply, Handy1. I understand now that they eat your payment. I'm suggesting that there is a flashing sign next to the 'change now' button that indicates you lose everything remaining. Seems dishonest as it is now.

I'll try your other suggestions. Thank you!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Buz  sorry no refunds why it’s best to change plan on renewal and not immediately or you lose money on current cycle . But Reboot the phone and make sure your connected to T mobile or AT&T , also do you know if your phone / account has voLTE

Check phone for voLTE / support

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Need Help? Let's chat.