cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues when out of data (telus identity, google captcha)

randomizer76
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When running out of data on my plan it is impossible to log into self serve because I am being redirected off publicmobile.ca to telusidentity. It seems that domain is not accessible in that state.

When consulting SIMon I was directed to the community page. So far so good. But I could not find anyone raising this issue yet. And trying to create an account to join the community forum requires completing a google captcha (i am not a robot) which would not load (its nit hosted on publicmobile.ca but on a google domain) so I could not create an account here. Which means I cant create a ticket or message a CS Agent as described in some other issues.

This seems like a huge oversight. Without being able to log into my account I cant renew my data to get access to the community to contact support to say I cant access my account. Basically it leaves me stranded.

Anyone else run into similar issues? Is this something public mobile is testing for when developing there new platform? I'm flabbergasted.

14 REPLIES 14

randomizer76

I can really appreciate your attempts at helping me figure this out. In hind sight I am noticing a lot of combativeness in my tone. Please don't take my frustration with PM personally. Your situation sounds rough and probably even more frustrating than mine. We all deserve better, a provider with humans to talk to who can support us with our issues. I have reached out to a CS Agent and will stay open to the possibility of change but my hopes are tempered by now.

Kind regards @softech & @Quigley ❤️

@randomizer76   You can try to open a ticket with PM Support

But honest, it's hard to make PM make change.  We reported actual glitches on My Account but after so many months, I don't see any of them were fixed.  

randomizer76

All I want is for the web devs of the PM website to know this is an issue. You are diverting from the issue. The issue is relying on web resources that are not whitelisted for users of PM without data. It used to be possible to login to my account without accessing telus.ca now its not. That's an issue because of missing whitelisting rules set by PM admins. When i wanted to join the forum I was able to read, but unable to sign up because, again, there were cross domain resources embedded which were blocking progress. In that case it was a google captcha which did not load, but the PM community signup form was expecting it to load and gave me an error on signup saying I had to confirm Im not a robot. If those resources where specifically whitelisted (just like the domain publicmobile.ca is) then I would have had the same experience I had a year ago where upon running out of data I can login and change my plan. No overage needed.

@randomizer76   in your case, a postpaid provider which allows you to overuse (and charge extra) might be what you need.. However, with that , it can be $$ for overage 

or what you can do is to buy extra data add-on.  When your regular data are used up, then it will start taking data from the addon

BTW, PM is giving one time  bonus 2GB data for Christmas.  You will receive a text in the next couple day, reply YES2 and they will put the addon for you.  This addon is exactly what you need in your situation.

randomizer76

I had to wait all day for my partner to get home. If i didn't have them I would have had to walk many miles to get anywhere close to a place offering wifi. Not a tenable solution in a snowstorm like a few days ago. And getting funds to charge the account with requires access to places that sell the cards. Not where I live though.

My partners hotspot was the only way of getting the google captcha to load so i could even open the discussion on here. So I waited all day for them to come back. The whole day without being able to fix something that used to be fixable within minutes before the redirect to telusidentity was introduced. So for sending a PM for a plan change you need to have a community account active BEFORE you run out of data because once its out you cant create it hence no PM hence no plan change.

Sure I could buy an addon for 15$/GB or i could switch plans for 2.25$/GB.

This really leaves me wondering if I want to be stranded with public mobile in the future, or if there is other providers who allow account access like public mobile used to. Im sure they do. I see this as an oversight of the web developers who didnt test without data on a sim and didnt realize it would need whitelisting of telusidentity.telus.ca as well as whatever domain the google captcha is hosted at.

@randomizer76 wrote:

I live out in the middle of nowhere. There is no wifi. 611 does not offer a menu option to change my plan to a higher data volume

@randomizer76   but how you access the Community now?  

what you can do if you want to make a plan change, you can first load enough fund to My Account using *611, then open ticket with PM Support and ask them to help you to make a plan switch (you might need to explain your situation as they likely will say the same thing, you can access My Account yourself via Wifi 🙂  )

Or if you just want to buy extra data add-on, load enough fund via *611 and you can buy mobile data via *611 as well

randomizer76

It used to work well before the new login process that involves redirect to telusidentity.telus.ca. the update to the new login flow broke the way I was able to change my plan when out of data.

That is the issue i am trying to get to. Its a crossdomain issue and without data i cant access the domain telus.ca so i cant login.

randomizer76

Also here is the text message I received upon reaching 100% data volume usage:

"Public Mobile here. You have used 100% of the data included in your service. Go to https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca for more options."

Clearly indicates that I should be able to access my account once all the data is used up.

randomizer76

I live out in the middle of nowhere. There is no wifi. 611 does not offer a menu option to change my plan to a higher data volume which is what I would do if I could log in. My phone gives a notification to "log into your network" which directs me to publicmobile.ca. if i could log i to my account i could serve myself and make that plan change.

Instead I would have had to either walk out to town on a highway with my dog in the freezing cold, or wait at home until my partner can hotspot me (which is how i am getting access to the forum rn).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@randomizer76 when running out of data, you wouldn't be able to login to My Account as it needs data , unless you use Wifi

You should turn on Wifi to access My Account

randomizer76

a) I tried connecting a laptop to my phones hotspot (which is still out of data) and it couldn't even connect to publicmobile.ca

b) I should not need an additional device. I can pull up PM.ca on my phone without data. Not being able to login means it is not functional.

I will try this 611. Never heard of it before.

@randomizer76   Can you try on a different device like a computer or laptop instead of your mobile phone.

You can try using 611 from your phone to add data if you have a CC on file and if you know your pin number.

randomizer76

I just tried that. No dice. Redirecting to telusidentity login page times out in all browsers, whether cache or cookies are cleared and in incognito mode as well.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@randomizer76   Try logging into your account using a browser in incognito mode.   You'll have better success.

Need Help? Let's chat.