cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the US "Freedom Phone" Compatible?

Katie07
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Is anyone using a Freedom Phone from the USA? Thinking of buying 2 of them. https://www.freedomphone.com/

33 REPLIES 33

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Nope it was accidently moved to phones and hardware and it's been moved back to get support. The tags remain hidden at least so accessible but we don't have a tagging area.....unless we go French! The haves and the have not.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

@darlicious- David_J's been tinkering with things again. Oops I'll just turn this back off again. 🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Screwed over for tagging yet again.....your tag will only get you so far.....at least I got one more on my list.😁

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Katie07 

Your welcome! If you purchase the phone I can't wait to hear your review!

And thank you! We now have access to the community's "Play Tag" Zone....lol.... If you ever need a refresher to remember your security question and answer this is where you will find the list.....

Here are the options you were presented with when creating your self serve account do any of them ring true?

1. What year was your father born?
  2. What year was your mother born?
  3. What is your father's middle name?
  4. What is your mother's middle name?
  5. What was the name of your primary/elementary school?
  6. What was your favourite activity in high school?
  7. What is your favourite colour?
  8. What is your favourite meal?
  9. Use your own question/type in.

Otherwise follow the instructions to contact customer support.

Katie07

This is all very helpful. Thanks so much for your time! 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Yes that's how I did eventually find the thread I was looking for....its also how I found some threads that have been deleted as well.

Katie07

Ah, good to know. Thanks! 

@darlicious  you know what, I sometimes go to Google and search back posts in this Community, easier that way sometimes.  LoL

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Lol....searching for anything in the lounge is a nonstarter at the moment.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Katie07 

They are the exact same phone. The Teracube 2e runs Linuis as it's OS. Given it's all over specs and your must have for a phone this is a great phone for the price. The camera is average....like most phones, the sound is ok.....that was the one real criticism in reviews. Otherwise it's a pretty good phone for the price. My interest in it was a 2 year warranty and replacement parts that are comparatively cheap, readily available from Teracube, fairly easy to replace and if not your thing then repair service is cheap as well.

If you want to keep your phone for many years to come and be able to choose what apps you install on the phone and have a amount of control over the data that's harvested from your use then it's a good choice. But we can only give our opinions....join the Teracube community they will be able to help you make a final decision. They are the experts on Teracube whereas we specialize in pm quirks, bugs and other shortcomings....lol....

There are referral codes and promocodes for the purchase of the phone you can ask on their community about them. If you cant find anything there private message me and maybe the promotional codes I was sent around Christmas from teracube can still be used and I will pass them on to you since I dont plan on purchasing the phone at any time in the near future.

@Katie07   Good luck and give us your review of your experience

Also, there were some posts about this phone before.  Search and check it out.  Maybe you can message them for help in case you hit any roadblocks

Katie07

I've got to to start somewhere and hopefully I'll learn techie stuff along the way, or hopefully my techie friends can help me in a pinch. 🙂 

Agreed. And I do as much as I reasonably can. You said you're not a techie. To go about fiddling with things to increase your privacy takes some level of techieness. Not just buying a particular phone. There are baked-in "problems" with all phones.

Katie07

Data harvesting can be minimized, and if I can do just that, I will.

And your cell provider doesn't? Calls are digitized ie. data. Texts are stored and forwarded. Internet traffic goes through their servers. It's all data. The destination web site will see your ip address (even VPN but at least that's not you) and all the pages you open. By usual default, many of those pages will have their own tracking via images and javascript and cookies. Even html and images embedded in emails are trackable.

It's a brutal non-private world out there. You can turn off lots of these things. You can use settings provided to stop them. But it can also become inconvenient then to use the device and services.

Katie07

The one in my link has been modified (ie. deGoogled) as far as I can understand. The $429 is CDN in that link. I found that seller in an article about Freedom Phones, that was saying this is a cheaper option for essentially the same thing...basically what you said, but deGoogled. 🙂 

Katie07

Because I like the concept of a privacy phone or a deGoogled phone that doesn't track you or collect your data. 

Then don't own and/or carry around a cell phone. The cell system itself is inherently tracking you just by being on and out of airplane mode and even without a sim. You could leave it in airplane mode to not be tracked. Turn it off when you need to use it for cell services. CSIS and the NSA will light up and say oh there you are. Let alone all the providers that have towers in the area.

It's a devilish compromise we all make to have the convenience of a communication device in our hands.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Katie07 

I'm curious where the e-shop in your link is from? They are a reseller. The teracube website ships from Toronto. The website lists the US$299 price about $400 cdn. If you live outside of Ontario you will probably be charged gst only. The two phones are the same it's the exchange rate and Mark up making the difference in price.

https://myteracube.com/products/teracube-2e-1?variant=42116797300993

@Katie07   If you are not a techie, why would you choose a "special" phone like this?

The problem with trying phones outside of the mainstream is that if it runs into issue,  it's hard to find help. You will rely on the support from the manufacturer.  Finding help online is hard as not many people are using the phone.  It's ok if you are techie and like to try it out.  But if you are not, then you might want to think twice

Katie07

Do you think this deGoogled Teracube is worth the extra $130? Although I'm not a techie, I do know I'd like to opt out of the surveillance system as much as possible. Thank you! 🙂 https://esolutions.shop/shop/murena-teracube-2e-emerald-eu/

Katie07

Ok, I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip! You might hear from me again with some questions. 🙂

Katie07

Awesome. Thanks so much!

Katie07

Thanks for this - very helpful! 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Katie07 

Shop around and you can get the new iPhone SE 3rd Generation (2022).

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Katie07 

Don't waste your money. The freedom phone is just the Umidigi A9 pro running Lineage OS. Instead look at the Teracube 2E if that's what you are really looking for in the way the freedom phone is being marketed. Here's more info and links about Teracube.....join their community to learn more it reminds me of how the public mobile community used to be when pm was a groundbreaking MVNO vs today.

Well I was going to link my thread from the lounge on the Teracube 2E but it has disappeared?!! More censorship or shenanigans going on?!!🤔

Here's a direct link...

https://myteracube.com/pages/teracube-2e

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Katie07 

For $500 usd or $650 cdn, I would consider Samsung A71 or Google Pixel 4a with more accessories options.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Katie07 

Looking at the spec on the site, YES  It will work

these are the frequencies the phone has, BOLD are compatible with PM

3G Bands:B1/ 2/ 4/ 5/ 8

4G Bands:B1/ 23/ 4/ 5/ 7/ 8/ 12/ 13/ 17/20/28(A+B)

It should work fine

Need Help? Let's chat.