cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 4g speed fast enough for live navigation and streaming?

bydarkwah
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Folks on the 4g, is it fast enough for driving navigation and video streaming? The 3g is no good when I tried it for driving navigation and I'm looking to upgrade.

edited by computergeek541:  miscategorized as Community

10 REPLIES 10

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Ah, interesting. Yeah doesn’t matter much to me with 1GB of usage per month but was curious from a technical perspective. 

@jor123 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Be aware that the Telus network has embedded (OpenWave) Video Optimization.

That last part is interesting - does VPN prevent that? 

Do you have something to hide?

VPNs cannot circumvent machinery embedded at this level of the network. Stuff which identifies streams - deconstructs, manipulates, reconstructs them - at the packet level.

OpenWave is embedded into the network machinery. It's part of a whole suite of OpenWave media components which are specifically designed to track and mine data as much as they are specifically designed to optimize and increase dataflow. The purpose is to minimize cost of data stream to the provider (and incidentally to the subscriber). The purpose is also to maximize revenue to the provider (through the subscriber) with nuggets mined from that data stream. Google it up and take notice of what OpenWave says on their own sites when they're advertising (selling) their own products to their own customers (ISPs like Telus).

The entire concept of a VPN is basically pointless when it's being run on a mobile device ... which constantly reports its location and identity to the network while the network constantly tracks it's location and identity ... that's how cellular communications works ... anonymity is impossible while the device is active. Monitoring (and capturing data from) the endpoints of a VPN tunnel across a cellular network is trivially easy for the cellular provider, especially when they are also the internet provider. You might be able to fool websites into believing you're from a different region, you won't be able to fool the network while it has full oversight of every packet it passes to the VPN server or fetches from the VPN server. (Any VPN product which claims otherwise is lying in their advertising.)

You can always encode, encrypt, compress, or package your video files in weird nonstandard formats the network won't recognize as video streams. But then it's no longer a video stream with realtime delivery and playback, it's just a file transfer you have to unpack and watch later. And it's not an option when the way the video is delivered to your device is invariably from a streaming source - if it's streamed across the network then it's "optimized" (and datamined) before it reaches you, with or without VPNs and firewalls.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth wrote:

The proper answer involves three parameters:

1. Network speed - let's just simplify things and assume that "4G Speed, up to 30x faster speed" is Public Mobile's way of saying "up to 90Mbps"
  2. Device speed - some smartphones are faster than others, they can access all available frequencies and bands and protocols and channels, they can process throughput more efficiently - and some smartphones are the opposite, their hardwares and softwares impose dismal upper performance limits
  3. Streaming resolution - even "3G Speed" is (barely) sufficient for streaming HD 1080x30fps, but streaming ultra quality stuff like 8K HDR 120fps requires a whole lot, lot more bandwidth

So the simple answer is "yes". The advertised "4G Speed" is more than enough for what you want to do.

Unless you want to stream your phone into a fancy large panel display. Or your local network and phone are just too junky to handle the load.

Be aware that the Telus network has embedded (OpenWave) Video Optimization. It conserves bandwidth by transcoding video streams to the maximum reported display resolution your device can handle. (It also introduces digital artifacts and image degradation from realtime lossy compression, along with some latency and jitter). You get to "enjoy" this feature whether you want it or not.

That last part is interesting - does VPN prevent that? 

luigibell78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Google maps or Waze works fine with 3g speeds.

If you have a low end android or even a slightly older iphone it may be the phone.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@bydarkwah wrote:

The 3g is no good when I tried it for driving navigation

HI @bydarkwah   You meant map navigation ?  even on the old 3G plan should be more than enough.  

luigibell78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

4g is plenty fast. overkill IMO 

however im not sure what device you have... i have been using the 3g service for a couple years. I never had any issue with navigation or streaming 1080p YouTube video. it works surprisingly well.

@darlicious wrote:

@bydarkwah 

It was reported today that a newly upgraded user was getting 96mbps on unthrottled 4G LTE.

I'm still trying to figure out what Public Means by the 100Mbps claims in the legal section of the plans page. I've been contacted by Public Mobile and was informed that customers can have an expectation of 100Mbps, but I'm still as confused as ever.  I'm no closer to figuring out if this is simply an average LTE speed or a service that is being throttled down to/limited to 100Mbps.  Despite the plan page advertising mentioning this 100Mbps number, the Self Serve page makes a claim of 750Mbps as the maximum speed.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

The proper answer involves three parameters:

1. Network speed - let's just simplify things and assume that "4G Speed, up to 30x faster speed" is Public Mobile's way of saying "up to 90Mbps"
  2. Device speed - some smartphones are faster than others, they can access all available frequencies and bands and protocols and channels, they can process throughput more efficiently - and some smartphones are the opposite, their hardwares and softwares impose dismal upper performance limits
  3. Streaming resolution - even "3G Speed" is (barely) sufficient for streaming HD 1080x30fps, but streaming ultra quality stuff like 8K HDR 120fps requires a whole lot, lot more bandwidth

So the simple answer is "yes". The advertised "4G Speed" is more than enough for what you want to do.

Unless you want to stream your phone into a fancy large panel display. Or your local network and phone are just too junky to handle the load.

Be aware that the Telus network has embedded (OpenWave) Video Optimization. It conserves bandwidth by transcoding video streams to the maximum reported display resolution your device can handle. (It also introduces digital artifacts and image degradation from realtime lossy compression, along with some latency and jitter). You get to "enjoy" this feature whether you want it or not.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

It definitely should be. You should be able to do quite a few things actually (that you wouldnt be able to do or at least do quickly) with 3G

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bydarkwah 

It was reported today that a newly upgraded user was getting 96mbps on unthrottled 4G LTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.