cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is somebody selling my number to spam callers?

derekc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have had my phone for about 3 months. I have only given my number to 3 fully-trusted people. I have had about 20 voicemails, all of them spam, one on about the day after I set up the voicemail system. I only have the phone on when I am expecting a possible call.

I can only think of a couple of reasons. One is that the number has been sold by the Nelson BC walmart employee who sold me the phone, or by public mobile, or by telus. The other is that perhaps there are automated phoning systems constantly calling random numbers, but I don't get many such calls on my directory-listed landline.

I'm really sorry that I allowed public mobile to nag me into setting up the voicemail. I wish there was a way to cancel it.

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@derekc wrote:

HS Park asked if the calls are coming from the same number. I did notice repeat messages from the same number. I called it from my land line and found it was the public mobile phone message system. When I have time I will try out something I read about getting public mobile  to not to record voice mail, since there seems to be no way to get rid of it. It does seem that the messages go away in time if I ignore them.

Calls going to voicemail works the same as call forwarding. It just so happens that the forwarding number goes to a voicemail system. When someone calls you'll see the inbound call with the possible caller id. Then, if it forwards to voicemail then you'll see an outbound call to that voicemail number.

As someone has already mentioned in your thread...the so-called Extended Absence option in the voicemail system lets you leave a recording for the caller to hear and then the option to not let anyone leave a voicemail.

derekc

HS Park asked if the calls are coming from the same number. I did notice repeat messages from the same number. I called it from my land line and found it was the public mobile phone message system. When I have time I will try out something I read about getting public mobile  to not to record voice mail, since there seems to be no way to get rid of it. It does seem that the messages go away in time if I ignore them.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@derekc wrote:

I have had my phone for about 3 months. I have only given my number to 3 fully-trusted people. I have had about 20 voicemails, all of them spam, one on about the day after I set up the voicemail system. I only have the phone on when I am expecting a possible call.

I can only think of a couple of reasons. One is that the number has been sold by the Nelson BC walmart employee who sold me the phone, or by public mobile, or by telus. The other is that perhaps there are automated phoning systems constantly calling random numbers, but I don't get many such calls on my directory-listed landline.

I'm really sorry that I allowed public mobile to nag me into setting up the voicemail. I wish there was a way to cancel it.

I must admit I experienced far more spam calls within the first few months of signing up at Public Mobile, whereas before PM I would only get the occasional spam call but never figured out why.  Having said that the spam callers have declined in number so it might be worth sticking it for the savings here.  Also once someone calls who I think is spamming I usually just add them to the auto block feature on my phone.  You should be able to block them somehow too or have the calls go to voicemail and not bother retrieving the message.

It is bit of pain though. 

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There are so many avenues that are used to gather phone numbers. Special offers and contests in stores that require your phone number. Surveys, etc. It's relentless. 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Looks like you were unlucky with your new number. You can always google/search the number and see what comes up.

You have several options at your disposal. Some have already been mentioned.

There is a way to disable your voicemail.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...

If it's always the same few callers, you can block their calls.

If it's all too annoying, you can opt for a new number. It's free to change once every 30 days.

HSPark

Those calls can be really annoying! 

Here is something to try:

1. Register your number with th National do not call list.  

Here is the link: 

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

2. Are the calls coming from the same phone number? Depending on your phone model you might be able to block the number so it won’t even ring. 

3. Change your phone number as suggested by other members. 

Unfortunately, there is not something that any phone provider can do to go and tell the spammers to stop call xxx-xxx-xxxx number. 

Hope ine of the above souution helps. Good luck. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Probably an automatic dialer (auto dialerauto-dialerautodialer) is an electronic device or software that automatically dials telephone numbers. Once the call has been answered, the autodialer either plays a recorded message or connects the call to a live person.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think anyone is selling your number and it's probably not random.

Those survery companies view listings of which sets of numbers have now been released and they start their computers to sequentially dial them one by one.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@derekc The number probably belonged to someone else before you. There's a few things you can do:
1. Change your phone number, go into your account and under My Profile click on Change Number
2. Change your phone settings so that missed calls aren't going to the voicemail number
3. Call your voicemail and change the settings to Extended Absence and prevent people from leaving messages.

Derekc, I see of no reason for your phone number to be sold.  I suspect that these companies (telemarketing, surveys, spam, scams, newspaper companies, political parties, etc.) often just call every single possible combination of phone number.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@derekc It looks like you picked a new number. Some available numbers are used by someone else before releasing them. If too many spam calls continues, i would suggest you to change your number. You will be able to change it right away, but 30 days wait afterwards.

Need Help? Let's chat.