cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 999-999-9999 a legitimate number that service providers use?

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, I have received two messages within the past 2-3 days from a number 999-999-9999. The first message was from Amazon saying that my account has been locked due to too many incorrect password login attempts, and asked me to click a link.

The second message was from Netflix, saying that my account has be compromised, and to reset my password using a link provided to reactivate my account.

I do share my Netflix and Amazon Prime Passwords with my girlfriend, and I was thinking she may have flagged the accounts while she is visiting family in Australia. However both links in those messages, didn't have amazon or netflix domains in the web links that I clicked. I am wondering if these are official messages, and that 999-999-9999 is some special number that various streaming services use. It's also a bit puzzling because the number Netflix used to contact me is a number I have never used with my Netflix account, so I'm not sure how they got that number. 

9 REPLIES 9

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Definitely scams, I get those 2 and either they have a name or email that I have never heard of even when they use my number as well or it is something I know for sure isn't happening since I don't have a cc on a Netflix account etc. I usually just reply with a picture of a dog in the middle of taking a sh1t and then I don't hear back 😄

HI @WoozyPolarBear   for PM service, you can only block phone number on your device level, not on PM level.

WoozyPolarBear

Is there a way to disable receiving email to SMS on an mobile account basis? Or is it just a matter of blocking the number on one's smartphone? Would there ever be a legitimate need to receive email to SMS? I think I remember using that kind of thing before smartphone days, but now every phone is capable of receiving and sending email.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

This is email to SMS number.

I would ignore all that garbage coming from spammers.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@WoozyPolarBear Yes I got the same one from Netflix it’s a scam at least it wasn’t 666  666 6666 then I would be really nervous 😬 

WoozyPolarBear

Thank you, that explains the number they come from, and from this point on I know they are most likely BS.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

WoozyPolarBear

I clicked the links, but never filled anything out. It seemed legitimate, and the fact they use 999-999-9999 makes it look official.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WoozyPolarBear- Those sound like scams.  Never click a provided link!

Need Help? Let's chat.