cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Roaming

r_chehade
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I would like to know, does Public Mobile plans to offer international roaming eventually? Currently they only offer roaming for the U.S.

Thank you,

Rachid

13 REPLIES 13

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@BlueB wrote:

@Meow 

The one I'm referring to - you rent a small device (wifi hotspot) roughly the size of a deck of cards.  This device connects to their mobile network and acts as a wireless access point, routing/tethering your device(s) to their network for data.

It's great when you want a data connection all the time, don't need cellular voice calling, and don't want to bother with finding public wifi hotspots.  🙂

Interesting... You can always learn something new here! Thanks for explanation.

Now, is there any charge (beside renting that device)? Do you pay for data usage?

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@r_chehade 

Great to hear, and we're always happy to help (and chat!).  🙂

I noticed you asked "eventually" too - it's unlikely that Public Mobile will ever offer true international roaming due to the higher costs and other details/arrangements they'd need to manage.  In that case, the concept of Public Mobile's "low cost" service would go out the window as global roaming = $$$.  Most people on budget plans will also look for the cheaper option while traveling (ie. local SIM/etc) and be a wasted effort for Public Mobile.

BlueB

@Meow 

The one I'm referring to - you rent a small device (wifi hotspot) roughly the size of a deck of cards.  This device connects to their mobile network and acts as a wireless access point, routing/tethering your device(s) to their network for data.

It's great when you want a data connection all the time, don't need cellular voice calling, and don't want to bother with finding public wifi hotspots.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrAtheist : Likin' the username 🙂 PM has agreements with T-Mobile and AT&T. So if you have poor reception with one then try the other.

r_chehade

Thank you all for your answers. It pretty much answers my question. I love the Public Community. Communication is done very rapidly. 

Rachid 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@r_chehade 

be careful the 10 day packages add-on is will starts as soon as purchased.

@MrAtheist...my experience with the 10 Day US roaming add-on was very positive. I used them in WA, OR, CA and MI. For the most part...never had any issues.

For the long weekend travelers...these add-ons are an inexpensive addition when traveling to US...(whenever the border opens again )

MrAtheist

My experience last time roaming with PM in vegas was spotty at best... PM probably just latched to whoever it had contracted with, iirc AT&T or Verizon, and the signal comes and goes even if you're standing still in an outdoor parking lot.

Depending on where you go, my suggestion would be to pick up a local sim and 'roam' that way... much more flexible imo.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@BlueB wrote:

@r_chehade 

Just to add on to @mimmo - depending on your need, some countries offer "wifi hotspots" as a cheaper option than phone SIM cards.  If you really only need data during your travels, then this may be another option to keep in mind.  🙂

Are these 'wifi hotspots' for a fee or we are talking about free wifi like here (Tim Hortons, Walmart, etc.)?

BlueB

@r_chehade 

Just to add on to @mimmo - depending on your need, some countries offer "wifi hotspots" as a cheaper option than phone SIM cards.  If you really only need data during your travels, then this may be another option to keep in mind.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

only offer Roaming for the U.S. 10 day packages.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@r_chehade  typically international roaming is very expensive on other providers iirc it was greater then 12/15$ per day.   It's usually more economical just to buy a local sim when you arrive.  

Edit Telus and Koodo 9$ USA /day, international $13/day

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@r_chehade...nope..currently just the 10 Day US talk/text/data add-on for use in USA. No indication that will change anytime soon.

TextNow works to call US or Cdn numbers from anywhere...and it's free.

Need Help? Let's chat.