cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improperly Calculated Data Usage?

daniel98789
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Today, I got a text notification warning me that I have used 75% of my data plan, I was really surprised I got this. I never watch or stream videos over data only on Wi-Fi, I only use data for web pages. I activated my plan on Sept, 11 on the 90 day 1gb plan, and according to the data usage on my phone i have used only 277MB, however in self-serve it states I have used 768MB. I didn't expect the data tracker on my phone to be 100% accurate, but to be 500MB off? Is anyone else experiencing this? 

18 REPLIES 18

Solid

I've found my data to be usage and phone to be fairly accurate across multiple carriers. It's possible it could be on PM's side but could be other reasons, including just your phone reporting it wrong. 

What could be also possible it that there is an app that isn't reported by the system that is using data. There's a possibility it could be malware... So you might want to be careful and check around your system. 

Mine shows the exact usage...not sure wahts up with urs. 

Be sure to let us know the outcome of this...

flcz214
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

bilal
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Do let us know the outcome of this.

daniel98789
@vrance I checked my usage history in self serve. On Sept 30 apparently I used 199mb in one day. I don't remember exactly what I did in that day but Im pretty sure I only browsed a couple on webpages, no video or anything. However, in settings data usage on my phone it does not show a spike of data usage. What is more interesting is that on Oct 2 I know for a fact that i browsed a couple of web pages but it shows in self serve that I used 0mb of data. On my phone Chrome uses the most data at 105mb, nothing out of the ordinary. I did not reset the statistics on my phone, it tracked from Sept 10 the day I activated my plan with PM.

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @daniel98789, in the online self service, there is a usage history for the data, which you will see the pattern of the usage.  Please try to see if there is a big usage somewhere, and recall what you are using.  Since most of the data are two ways (there should be a pull from your phone to download data from the network), I really doubt that there should be such as big gap between the information from your phone and Public Mobile.  There are utilities in Android or iphone showing the breakdown of the data usage (try to install one if possible), and at least try to find out in the setting, it should show which app uses the most data.  Try to find it out and turn it off.  Did you by any chance reset the statistics in your phone?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Luddite,

Thank you very much for the linked articles. I found each to be quite informative.

Cheers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

I was just checking data usage in my account and on my phone.

According to Usage History (where everything is reported in real time, except data which is delayed 10 - 12 hours after a web session has ended), I have used 37 MB of data. According to Add-on Usage, which is in real time, I've used 45 MB. According to my phone, 49.08 MB are no more.

On one occasion, when I was running an experiment of my own, I was watching a YouTube video to see if Add-on Usage was in real time. It was. When I reached a certain data amount, I disconnected from mobile data, and the amount used was then reduced by 2 MB.

Interesting!

daniel98789
Thanks for finding these 2 articles for me. I didn't expect the data usage from phone to carrier calculations would be 100% accurate, but to be off by 500mb is a bit ridiculous. Clearly there's something wrong with my phone or Public Mobile. I will contact PM to confirm. Thanks

Found two articles with same theme: "The problem boils down to the fact that carriers count data that leaves their network, and not what's received by your phone. Obviously, the two don't always match." plus with a poor connection the carrier will keep sending the same data over and over until completely received.

http://gizmodo.com/5943251/how-carriers-miscalculate-your-data-usage

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/65618/very-high-mobile-data-usage-reported-by-carrier-no-...

Good luck. Bed time for me.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

daniel98789
I will email PM after the weekend. Last time I emailed them on a Friday they never got back to me. The usage calculation is very weird. Apparently 2 days ago I used 199MB in one day (my usual is 5-25mb) even though I'm pretty sure I didn't use that much data. Even on my phone it didn't record a sudden spike in data usage, weird. Needless to say I have turned off mobile data on my phone.

@daniel98789 I recall reports like yours, even much worse, which led to apps for measuring usage on phones. However, I don't recall the resolution, or the causes.

Given the other system bugs, certainly seems worth exploring with PM directly?

daniel98789
AFAIK it wouldn't be that. In WIFI usage, app updates goes under play store background data usage. However, in 3G play store background usage is only 3.76MB.

Agree it should.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Luddite,

Had the OS and/or apps automatically updated without the OP being aware, the phone's usage of mobile data would still have increased accordingly and been indicated.

Do you agree?

Can't hurt to send an email to PM.

Any chance an update of apps or the OS was set to automatic? Then it would come through on cellular data without notifying you.

daniel98789
I have just recently switched over to a Note 3 from a nexus 4. The WiFi data usage seems to be on point, I was averaging 60gb per month with majority from video like YouTube and Netflix on my nexus 4 and on my note 3 it is displaying the same trend. It is possible the usage on my phone is wrong but WiFi usage seems to be right so I don't see a reason why the 3g data usage would be wayyyy off (500mb off).

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

I have an iPhone and PM's reported usage is accurate over the last 2 months.

Need Help? Let's chat.