cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to buy a new phone. How do i check compatibility?

peciol91
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The check your phone link is not working for me.

8 REPLIES 8

@peciol91 

Your phone will work with PM.

Here are the specs:

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g6-9000.php

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

peciol91
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

https://www.motorola.ca/products/moto-g-gen-6 This is the phone I am looking to get by the way

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Most phones will work (apple, Samsung...etc.)...if it is a Chinese brand from China then it can be hit or miss. Also make sure it's unlocked, most phones now a day are unlocked but just verify to make sure.

If the phone workd with Telus, Koodo, Bell, Virgin, Lucky, Rogers, Fido, or Chatr then it's compatible with Public Mobile.

If the phone works with Freedom or Wind then it's *probably* compatible.

The phone must be unlocked. And not blacklisted, not reported as lost/stolen, etc. Easiest way to test is to try it out with active SIM cards from at least two carriers - a carrier-locked device won't work on any other carrier.  (You may not have extra SIM cards - to borrow for a few minutes from the phones of friends and family - but any cellphone vendor/kiosk agent certainly has lots of active SIM cards handy, you can go to two or three of them.) 

If it's a used phone then you can use a battery checker app to report battery age and how many charge/discharge cycles are on it.

If you want a phone from Alibaba/etc which is primarily intended for foreign markets (China, Europe) then you'll have to research the phone specs and reviews carefully - there may be no version/model of the device which is fully compatible with Canadian networks - be certain you can return/refund a device which can't deliver as promised. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@peciol91 wrote:

Check manufacturer specs. Look for UMTS band 2 and 5. This is required for phone calling.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can also ask whoever's selling you that new phone (so be in store, online support, etc) if that phone is compatible on the TELUS or Public Mobile network.  Public Mobile uses TELUS for it's network so you just need to make sure it works on TELUS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@peciol91 wrote:

Or gsmarena.

And then refer to this reference post for minimum required frequencies.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@peciol91 wrote:

Try www.willmyphonework.net

Need Help? Let's chat.