cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking to transfer my number over from Virgin Mobile to Public Mobile

Bajunga
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I'm looking to switch from Virgin to the $34/40gb 5g promo but I'm a little confused as what the next step is.

I can see that I need to register an account and order the sim card but at what point do I transfer my number? I've made it to the checkout page but I'm still worried that I will have two cellphone plans for a period and I'm not looking forward to paying two bills for the month. Could somebody guide me through the process? 

Thank you

16 REPLIES 16

@Bajunga wrote:

Also, the only reason I could see for ordering through public mobile is to secure the promo because the checkout process prompts me to pick a plan before ordering the sim card. 

Do you think there's any way to hold onto the plan if I order the sim card through Amazon?

@Bajunga , you could still go through the process of ordering the SIM Card from Public Mobile to lock in the plan. Then you can still pick up a SIM Card locally using the link that @Chalupa_Batman provided if there’s a local Telus store that may have one or through Amazon & keep the one Public Mobile send as a spare or pass it on to someone. 😉. That way you can get service set up & activated faster so you can use it then port your phone number in before paying for another month with Virgin.

Adding links again.

Telus, Koodo, or Mobile Klinik store

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/nb/store-locator

Amazon Canada  $4.99 + tax & free shipping with Amazon Prime

Public Mobile SIM Card on Amazon

@Bajunga , you’re welcome! 🙂 We do out best to try to help when we are able to & provide advice that we have personally tried.

You picked a good post as a solution. 👍🏻 

Bajunga

Thank you to everybody for the responses. I thought I could click on all the replies as "accepted solution" but realized afterwards I can only pick one. Regardless, this post has been very helpful. 

Bajunga

Unfortunately my phone doesn't support esim so physical sim it is. I'll keep in mind your advice. Thank you

emptybucketlist
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you are able to do the esim, it is free with most plans and works automatically. No need to purchase a physical SIM card then. I usually recommend buying the new plan with a random phone number and the porting your number as a separate step to make sure everything goes through smoothly. If you need any additional info please reach out! Happy to answer any other questions or walk you through as you switch over.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Bajunga If you would like to get your card immediately, there are stores that sell public mobile SIM cards. When you go on the public mobile site, you can add in your postal code and the site will give you the closest locations that sell their SIM cards. That way, you can get your card immediately right now if you'd like!

Bajunga

Also, the only reason I could see for ordering through public mobile is to secure the promo because the checkout process prompts me to pick a plan before ordering the sim card. 

Do you think there's any way to hold onto the plan if I order the sim card through Amazon?

Cowardlp

I bought my SIM card at London Drugs. If you don’t want to wait on the mail. 

Bajunga

makes sense thank you

Subscription = Plan 

Bajunga

Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have known any better lol.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Bajunga , please don’t order the SIM Card through Public Mobile, it took over 3 weeks to receive mine from them delivered through Canada Post! Use @Chalupa_Batman suggestion to get a SIM Card. It only took 2 days for me to receive the SIM Card I ordered from Amazon!

Bajunga

That makes a lot of sense. And also the reply below has the prompt to do everything through the app which sounds easy. The last question I have is what does "subscription" mean? So far, I understand that as a monthly plan with no fixed time in the contract. Is that correct? 

I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @Bajunga !

When you are in the process of activating your SIM with public mobile, you will be prompted to decide if you want to keep your existing number or create a new phone number. If you would like to keep your existing number, you will simply need to select that option during the porting process! Just make sure not to cancel your service with virgin beforehand.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Bajunga 

First, you can contact a local Telus store and see if they have any Public Mobile SIM cards. If not, best to purchase off of Amazon for $4.99

THen you need to sign up with the app.

How to sign up with Public Mobile

Chalupa_Batman_0-1701032622437.png

Then there will be an option to port over your number.

Need Help? Let's chat.