cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have text messages sent from my phone that I did not send.

Randombychoice
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just received a text message back from my boss asking me to call him. It showed that I messaged him earlier today asking him to call me when he had a chance. I did not send this message. I then noticed 3 other messages sent at the same timestamp to 3 other contacts that I did not send. I logged into my Public Mobile account and changed my password immediately. I have ZERO clue what is going on here, need to speak to someone.

9 REPLIES 9

Randombychoice

went through and removed any permissions to contacts and sms other than the bare-bones apps. I guess we'll see>?

HI @Randombychoice  to be very safe, I would just backup the pictures and Reset the phone

But do not restore backup from Cloud (unless you restore from backup from at least a month ago).  

Spuggetabouti1

@Randombychoice 

Hello!

There’s a good chance your phone is infected with malware and there’s a few solutions to the problem.  

Firstly, navigate to your settings, go to each and every app you have, and disable their permissions to use your contacts.

If that doesn’t help, delete any apps that you would think would use your contacts and when you reinstall them make sure not to give them permissions.

Thirdly, make sure to remove any public wi-fi networks from your phone as it is possible your data is being shared. Also, when using public wi-fi networks, never use your phone to do anything private such as banking.

Finally, if none of these solutions work, back up your photos and videos to Google Photos (or alternative), your documents to Google Drive (or alternative), and factory reset your phone but not from backup since your phone most likely has saved networks and permissions in its backup.

Does it suck that you have to download all your apps again? Yes, but it’s better than being the target of malware attacks. 

Hope this helps!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@Randombychoice are you on iPhone?

did you enable sync across your devices (iPhone/iPad/Mac)?  If you did , your family member can send message from your iPad or Mac.  Could that be the reason?

Randombychoice

no apps have been installed recently, nothing shady either. Samsung S9

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Is it possible to spoof from iMessage? Or someone is using the number in AppleID? Is your phone an iphone? Is the bosses and your other contacts? I'm not sure what possibilities there are with iMessage.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Randombychoice   unless the is is sim fraud, having access to your My Account still would not be able to send the text on your behalf

So, is your PM service is working?  if so, not likely a sim fruad

Wonder if it is any kind of hack.

I would monitor your data usage as well.  

If you are on iPhone , Reset Statistics in mobile data screen 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Randombychoice 

what's the make and model of the device? 

could it be possible your device is hacked?

do you remember installing any new apps just before this started happening?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Randombychoice @

Getting help from agent , through automation

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get started.      

Or  get direct help from a agent right here in the community ( my preferred choice )

• Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work

Need Help? Let's chat.