cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't receive texts if I'm away from the house.

gj1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an older iphone 4, on which wifi changes to G3 when away from the house.  My latest software version is  ios7.1.2.   My iMessage, SMS and MMS works in the house.  My APN is  isp.mb.com  Is that what it should be?  My personal hot spot is off. 

How do I know if I have cellular data?  it says current period - 1 day 4 hrs,   lifetime - 1 day 4 hrs.   current period -  0 bytes, roaming -  0 bytes. Maybe that's the problem.  If so, how do i fix it?   

What settings should i have on in cellular and in messages?

3 REPLIES 3

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gj1 wrote:

I have an older iphone 4, on which wifi changes to G3 when away from the house.  My latest software version is  ios7.1.2.   My iMessage, SMS and MMS works in the house.  My APN is  isp.mb.com  Is that what it should be?  My personal hot spot is off. 

How do I know if I have cellular data?  it says current period - 1 day 4 hrs,   lifetime - 1 day 4 hrs.   current period -  0 bytes, roaming -  0 bytes. Maybe that's the problem.  If so, how do i fix it?   

What settings should i have on in cellular and in messages?

I am assuming tyhat your account status is active.  Let us know if not active.

iMessage uses Wifi or mobile data. 

If your APN settings is correct, you should be able to browse internet using any mobile browser on your iPhone 4. 

If you cannot browse Internet on a mobile browser, your APN is not setup correctly.  

1.  Enable your data on your iPhone 4

2.  Restart your phone with PM SIM card inserted to let your iPhone to configure your iPhone 4 APN automatically. 

If this procedure failed to configured your iPhone 4 correctly, create a support ticket for help using the Chat button at the bottom right corner of this page.  Ask moderator to send a PM specific carrier file to your iPhone 4 and restart your phone.

While your are waiting for moderator, red the following thread written by our iPhone expert member on this forum.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118

You may need to connect your iPhone 4 to iTune running on a computer to update your PM specific carrier file.

Good luck.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gj1   

iPhone 3/4 APN settings cannot be updated manually. You will need to connect to wifi, access http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/ with Safari, then follow the directions there.

MMS text will not work with iPhone 4.; detailed info is here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119/highlight...

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

EDIT disregard - As per @benfatto  the below will not work on a iPhone 4.

It's because you're using iMessage and not the standard text system. You have to turn it on in your settings.

Something like below screenshot.

To see if you have data. Log into your account and scroll down to my data and add-ons. Your amount of data will display there like 200mb of 1024 for example. When you use up all your data it disappears.

If you leave your wifi home network and out at a store. Can you browse the internet? If you cant and you have data in your account than change ISP. To SP.mb.com

Then try your data.

But using iMessage is not the standard text system. iMessage will use your wifi or data. So change your settings on your phone like below to be on the standard text system when your don't want to use iMessage.

IMG_20201102_192347.png

Need Help? Let's chat.