Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find the PUK for the sim card?

qwert
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone know? Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

@stonechucker wrote:

@computergeek541, thanks for the clarification.  I'm up on these pin/puk issues as I've never had an issue like this.  The only time I needed to deal with a locked phone, I knew I needed the code from the carrier, and away I went.

What does confuse things is how some manufactuers use a term similar to "SIM Network PUK" which is used to re-enabling the ability to unlock a phone after unsuccessful attempts.

So, you could very well have been right.  I did just see the message right before this one with the OP confirming that this is a sim security setting issue.

qwert

@computergeek541, yes, your interpretation is correct. I wanted to enable the sim card's security feature of itself. And I'm not sure whether it was enabled was not. The setting for the option on the phone is greyed out; and the phone didn't ask me for the sim PIN when I made phone calls after restarting it. Yet it showed that dangerous warning.

@computergeek541, thanks for the clarification.  I'm up on these pin/puk issues as I've never had an issue like this.  The only time I needed to deal with a locked phone, I knew I needed the code from the carrier, and away I went.

@stonechucker wrote:

Why would you attempt to enable the phone's own SIM lock?  It sounds like this could now be your issue, and you've possibly have set a code you no longer remember.

You may need to contact ZTE to get their master unlock code to resolve this.

My understanding of the OP's issue is that he/she enabled the sim card's secruity settings.  One thing that can be done with this is making it so that if the sim card is removed and placed into another phone, a PIN is required to start using the service.  This differs from the phone's security PIN as the secuirty PIN for the sim card is saved on the sim card itself and cannot be cicumvented by simply placing placing it into a different device.

If that's the case, ZTE cannot help with this.  Only Public Mobile can provide the PUK for this specific sim card which is unique to each one.

qwert

Do you mean the phone was asking for the PIN for the phone instead of the PIN for the sim card? I will consider the idea. But I will try to get the PUK from the moderator anyway just in case any unwanted outcome happened.

If I enable the sim lock for the sim card, every time the phone is restarted, the PIN for the card must be entered before any phone calls can be made or received, am I right? So just in case the phone is lost, I think this can be a prevention.

Why would you attempt to enable the phone's own SIM lock?  It sounds like this could now be your issue, and you've possibly have set a code you no longer remember.

You may need to contact ZTE to get their master unlock code to resolve this.

@qwert

You will need to contact moderator to get the PUK code.  Expect 2-3 day wait.  

send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

qwert

Thanks for the suggestion.

No my phone is not locked, though I tried to activate the sim lock setting on my ZTE axon 7. I tried two times to turn on the option on the security settings on the phone. I entered the PIN I received per SMS after activating the service, two times correctly I believe. But the phone kept telling the PIN was wrong.

It told me there was one try left, and after three wrong tries the sim card would be locked. But the option is still greyed out, meaning the feature (sim lock enabled) is not turned on. I restarted the phone, and found I could still use to make calls.

But I gave up trying, afraid of the phone could be locked if it still says the third try will be wrong. So I would like to find the PUK first.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@qwert wrote:

Does anyone know? Thanks.

What exactly is the message you are getting?

Combined with your other issue (calls going directly to voice mail) it looks like your phone is locked to your previous provider. You have to contact them for the unlock code.

What phone are you using? Some phones, bought unlocked, lock themselves to the first SIM inserted. Samsung is notorious for that - you can also get the unlock code for one of their phones from them via chat on their Canadian website.

Need Help? Let's chat.