cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to complete activation with SIM instead of e-SIM

e1231
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am a new subscriber to Public Mobile and during the subscription process I chose the e-SIM option. I checked if my phone was compatible with e-SIM before subscribing, and it said that it was. When I paid for the subscription and proceeded with the activation through the Public Mobile app, it told me that my phone was not e-SIM compatible. I have a Samsung S20 5G and I saw some posts discussing a workaround which required using the US Samsung firmware, but I didn't want to go through that trouble, so I ended up purchasing a physical Public Mobile SIM card. I inserted the SIM into my phone and re-opened the Public Mobile app, and it's still showing that I can't continue with my activation because it is not e-SIM compatible. I tried clearing the app's cached data and reinstalled the app, but it still goes to the same page asking me to resume activation, but when I click to activate it tells me that my phone is not e-SIM compatible. I don't see an option to switch to a physical SIM on the phone app. I tried logging into my public mobile account through a computer instead, and upon logging in it asks me to "resume activation", and when I click to resume it just tells me to download the Public Mobile App to activate, and there are no other buttons or options on that page.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Shaftab
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In the PM app on your phone go to your account and find the option to enter a new SIM card. In there you can enter the SIM card number. Then close your app and restart. Everything should work. 

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @e1231 

Have you checked your SIM manager or the screen of your device to if there was a Public Mobile esim?

• If there was, you need to enable it and check if it is connection to the Public Mobile network. 
  • If it doesn't want to connect and you still have other active sims in your phone, you'll need to any SIMs that are not associated with Public Mobile using the SIM manager (Or remove the physical SIM from your phone)

To make sure the esim associated with Public mobile is enabled along with your phone number.

If you are using an iphone:

1. go to settings and choose Cellular
  2. set PM eSIM as primary on Cellular Plan Label
  3. Turn on the option - Turn on This Line

Once you are done, click on "Reset all Networks". This will erase your wifi network but you can easily add it after. 

If you have tried all this and it is still unsuccessful, please submit a ticket with our customer support team. You can do so by using the following link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please be sure to explain the issue to them. They will respond to you in you community inbox to check it from time o time. Due to high volumes, the delays for your ticket can be 24-48 hours.

e1231
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for the assistance.

The phone is eSIM compatible but as I discovered through other forum discussions, the S20 5G Canadian version is loaded with a firmware does not have eSIM manager. I would need to flash my phone with the US version of the firmware, but like I mentioned previously I don't want to go through that hassle.

I will contact the support agent to help me bypass the page.

Thank you

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So since you clicked eSIM your are stuck on that page. Your phone should be eSIM compatible so you should be good. Since you already have a physical SIM card then you have to speak to CS agent so they can help you bypass that page.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.