cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the point system work for long-time customers with multiyear loyalty credits?

SMJ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been informed via email that I will be moved to the point system in May, 2024.

I have $5/month in loyalty credits from being a long-term customer with an anniversary date in June. With the move to the points system, will I start earning loyalty points from May 2024 which means I won't earn 10 points until May 2025 or will I earn 10 points in June 2024 since my anniversary date is in June?

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers!

14 REPLIES 14

mark38

Thanks for your response. In my case i receive $ 3 loyality, $ 3 friend referrals and $ 2 autopay discount on a $25 plan = $ 17 monthly. Starting in May I will receive 3 points for friend referrals, 1.25 points for 5% back = $ 20.75. After 1 year i accrue 10 points for loyality which makes an effective price of $ 19.90 approx over the year. If my math is correct this is quite the clawback (17%)

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for heads up, the plan i see in BC its only 400 minutes... i understand that its for the whole year.

hi @mark38 unfortunately yes. Rewards systems are always changing for the better..for the businesses

but you will get the same friend referred rewards as before 

mark38

Perhaps my disbelief is affecting my ability to understand. Please clarify, so a monthly $ 5 loyality credit is being replaced with an 85 cent monthly loyality reward (accrues yearly) which can be applied to a bill once $ 15 has accumulated?

SMJ

Thanks. 

I ordered a Fizz card since Toronto is now included as a subscription area. I'm also looking at Freedom since all of their plans are now nationwide too.

SMJ

I joined in the month of June a few years ago and currently receive $5/month in  loyalty credits.

HI @SMJ 

the 10 point is only once a year on your anniversary date.  When did you join? Jun?

SMJ

I currently have $5 in loyalty, $2 for autopay, and $4 in referral credits.

Regardless, I'm tempted to move to the $100 Telus prepaid 365 day plan which includes a bonus of 1 GB of 4g data per month and 500 nationwide minutes per month. There's no reward system in play so it's a very simple plan to maintain. Average cost is $8.34/month before tax. The plan only includes 400 texts (incoming and outgoing) per year but I rarely text.

SMJ

Thanks for all the information. 

I'm hoping I do get 10 points in June but I could not find a clear answer after reading the point system web pages.

With this switch to the point system, it's a bit more complicated than the legacy reward system where rewards were automatically applied. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@SMJ  So you will lose the $5 loyalty every 30 days  and the $2 autopay will be stripped from you also . And will be replaced with 5% back in points for plan price . So you will need $40 or more plan to get the same $2 autopay value . And for loyalty you will get 10 points back once a year so effectively costing you an extra 50-60 bucks a year more . And if that’s not bad enough you will have to wait u til you have 15 points to redeem $15 off your bill . So for my take in things if you do t have any friend referrals then there’s no point in  remaining loyal . Just shop around for who has the best deal for your needs 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@SMJ 

Good question.  You should earn 10 points in every June, including June 2024.  

Otherwise, you will lose the monthly loyalty and autopay rewards that you presently have starting May 2024. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@SMJ 

You will get 5% of your monthly payment in points. You will not receive any points for being on AutoPay but you will receive 10 points on your anniversary date.

Once you have collected 15 points…you can redeem for a $15 credit off your bill.

Need Help? Let's chat.