cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I renew my plan early?

PublicM0bileSux
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to renew my plan - I ran out of data.

18 REPLIES 18

@PublicM0bileSux wrote:

Korth - I've lived in other countries. Why does only Canada have this problem? Everything you wrote is gaslighting by the monopolies to rake in more profits at our expense. Canada's telecom monopolies MUST be broken up. No more theft from the people.

@Korth wrote:

You may or may not be aware that Canada's market is "protected" - run by the Big Three networks - aggressively territorial about preventing competitors to trespass on their turfs.

Maybe I'm too cynical - but it won't ever be broken up, lol. Because it's run the CRTC - effectively an instrument of the Canadian government. They say it's not, they promise it's not, they can "prove" their intentions with all sorts of mandates and regulations and documents and examples. But results speak for themselves - ignore the words, observe the actions and the consequences - this oligarchy has been embedded into the system, it is the system, and it's designed to actively resist all real changes which might disrupt the system. It's not entirely anti-consumer but at the same time it's obvious the Big Three enjoy some rather special privileges. The formal excuse is that Canada faces "unique geographical challenges which increase deployment costs and operational expenses" - I don't buy it since there's plenty of other countries with "unique geographical challenges" (like harsh deserts, arctic conditions, mountains, swamps, barren wastelands, revolutionaries and guerillas in the jungles) with substantially cheaper and better consumer cell services.

So if you want to change the system then go for it. Deconstruct and reconstruct Canada's government. Or maybe offer the CRTC bigger bribes than the Big Three do. Good luck on your quest, brave adventurer.

I prefer the approach of just buying my data where it doesn't cost as much. Less effort, better results.

If that wasn't a good option - and it wasn't until I went looking for better options a few years back - then I would recommend another different approach. Consciously limit data consumption.

PublicM0bileSux

Korth - I've lived in other countries. Why does only Canada have this problem? Everything you wrote is gaslighting by the monopolies to rake in more profits at our expense. Canada's telecom monopolies MUST be broken up. No more theft from the people.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/08/04/openmedia-leadnow-minister-champagne-act-rogers-outage/

@PublicM0bileSux wrote:

As Telus rakes in the profits at our expense ...

Anyone defending this has Stockholm Syndrome. The so-called cheap rates offered by Public Mobile are rape of the common man, and in this time of economic disparity it's ridiculous to defend it.

Mobile data is nominally intended for "casual" users. Yes, the manufacturers and the providers are all about encouraging more consumption to make their profits - getting people more addicted to their phones. Indeed, they make a lot of money - perhaps more money - from their tracking, telemetry, spyware, and data-mining (which they sell to advertisers and data-brokers) than from selling the primary service itself.

So mobile data is sold as a precious commodity. It is "valued" at whatever price the market will accept. They won't stop selling it and they won't make it cheaper as long as people keep buying it. You may or may not be aware that Canada's market is "protected" - run by the Big Three networks - aggressively territorial about preventing competitors to trespass on their turfs.

If you need more data than you can get from a mobile plan then you'll have to pay the price or look at alternatives. I get 75GB 10Mbps cellular data almost everywhere I go - with unlimited rollover of unused portions which just keeps accumulating each month - for about $20/month from Xplornet. I get effectively unlimited (over 1TB per month, lol) gigabit-rate data from DSL at school, from optic at work, from broadband at home - "fixed" or "wired" or "landline" data is vastly superior and bigger and faster and cheaper than any laughable ripoff cellular offering. I have a friend who subscribes to a foreign cellular provider, she gets 100GB "fast LTE" roaming data in most of Asia and North America (including all of Canada), even though she hardly uses the Singapore-based phone number attached to her plan (because it's "roaming" and "long-distance" in Canada) so she also buys a cheap Public Mobile plan.

Indeed, if you're really hurting for data and then go looking for a free wifi hotspot. At a fast-food place, a cafe, a public library. It's not the best but it costs nothing and it's better than nothing.

There are countless options and alternatives. You can simply accept what the advertisers want to sell you or you can put some effort into digging for better deals they don't want you to see. Don't blame sellers for actively ripping off passive consumers, they're just doing their job. Why rant about Stockholm Syndrome if you're doing nothing to escape, defy, or subvert your own submission to the dominant authority?

@softech 

no i'm not need to do this, i just like keep you a happy,,, cheers.

@Timer wrote:

@computergeek541 

yeah but i was just tried to give a info about if like to buy it add-ons not wrong right,

and also my nother post is right and the OP not like my post but they OP like other and fine, with me we all just like to help each other.

if that was the intention, you can put that as a reply to all the post here  🤣

@computergeek541 

yeah but i was just tried to give a info about if like to buy it add-ons not wrong right,

and also my nother post is right and the OP not like my post but they OP like other and fine, with me we all just like to help each other.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Timer wrote:

@PublicM0bileSux 

use browser from computer, clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode,

To Login Page

and go Add-ons buy it  data 

Unfortuantely, that isn't what the customer asked for.  There's now way to renew a plan early by logging into the Self Serve account.

I was just about to mentioned this too.

@Timer wrote:

@PublicM0bileSux 

use browser from computer, clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode,

To Login Page

Unfortuantely, that isn't what the customer asked for.  There's now way to renew a plan early by logging into the Self Serve account.

PublicM0bileSux

Thank you hTideGnow - that was the route to opening a ticket.

Hi @PublicM0bileSux   Canada is like that, we are always top 3 in the world, in terms of how expensive cell service is

With PM, or with any other provider (unless you have those unlimited data plan but speed down to 512kbps for overage), the idea is choose the plan with the data you need.  If you ever need to pay extra, that are $$$$.  But luckily in your case, you can choose to renew earlier or change to a new plan now to start a new cycle

PublicM0bileSux

Those prices probably look good to people who have only ever owned cell phones in Canada. When you've lived around the world, those prices are rape. Canada ranks very poorly: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadas-wireless-costs-continue-to-be-the-highest-or-among-the-...

As Telus rakes in the profits at our expense: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/08/05/2493089/0/en/TELUS-reports-excellent-operation...

Anyone defending this has Stockholm Syndrome. The so-called cheap rates offered by Public Mobile are rape of the common man, and in this time of economic disparity it's ridiculous to defend it.

Hi @PublicM0bileSux 

just to add to @Korth 's comment about Change plan.  You can only change plan to a different plan from you current have.  But if you want to keep the current plan and renew early, going with CS agent for help is the only way

@PublicM0bileSux wrote:

I can log in, but the data is a scam - $15 for a gig?

Data add-ons used to be $30 per GB here.

Data add-ons cost half as much at Lucky, $15 per 2GB.

Data add-ons still cost far, far less than the overage rates charged by any other provider. These usually start around $5 per MB. Another way to say this is $5000 per GB. On your credit card. Heavy data addicts beware.

You can "Change plan at next renewal" or "Change plan immediately" in Self-Serve.

A bit wasteful to halt a pre-paid plan but it will immediately start a new pre-paid cycle with full data provision. There's no other costs attached to this, there's no pro-rated refunds for unused service, although the days of interrupted billing cycle won't be counted towards Rewards/Points.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @PublicM0bileSux   Only PM CS agent and renew your plan early

Load enough fund  first onto your account and open ticket with CS agent.   

at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

start by typing : Contact CS Agent
then Click "Contact Us"
then Click "Other"
finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

PublicM0bileSux

Thank you.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@PublicM0bileSux 

for renew your plan early contact support team by private message CS_Agent  to they do it.

PublicM0bileSux

I can log in, but the data is a scam - $15 for a gig? My god, I'd rather get raped in prison. I need to renew my plan early.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@PublicM0bileSux 

To Login Page

Need Help? Let's chat.