cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i upgrade to android version 9 ?

marilores
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can't find an option to upgrade my phone  to android version 9 or 10.I am using version 6 on Polaroid phone, A600. Can anoboy help me ?

19 REPLIES 19

@mariloresGoes on sale periodically...i got it cyber Monday it was also that price on boxing day. It came highly recommended from a few members here that have one. Great phone...high end for a low price.

marilores

Thank you for info

@marilores  May I suggest the Umidigi A5 Pro....check it out on Amazon.ca. I got it for the bf for xmas. 32gb 16mp triple camera dual SIM w/sd card slot comes w/ case and screen protector, fast charging, long battery life, great for tunes....$135 cdn including tax+shipping

The bf loves it and I'm a little envious with my Samsung A5 I might have to get one myself.

marilores

I googled and Polaroid is not updating their phone. Is there an inexpensive cellphone that doesn't have to be discarded every 3 years ?

marilores

Now I have to buy a phone every 3 years Smiley Sad

marilores

hmm

marilores

Thank you, yes I think I need a higher than 6

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@marilores  If you plan to predominantly use your phone for calling and texting then Android 6 is going to work just fine! However, if you plan to use data for more than Google maps or browsing, unfortunately you may want to upgrade your phone.. inexpensive phones can be as low as $100-200, which is going give you better data experience

I wouldn't "upgrade" that device to newer OS version. It would install three or four generations of operating system bloat onto hardware which falls below minimum recommend spec. So it would probably slow a lot of things down and break a few things outright.

Much better to run the native OS and only upgrade embedded apps (including dialer, SMS/MMS, browser, etc) on a case-by-case basis as needed.

It is unfortunately a half-generic half-proprietary and low-end Walmart consumer device... meaning that end-users have to rely entirely on the manufacturer to provide system updates, it's just not a common enough or exciting enough device to have attracted any aftermarket firmware hacks/mods/upgrades. Better to plan on replacing with a newer device when, finally, compatibility becomes consistently problematic (which might have already happened if you can't run apps you want/need, or it might be years from now if you can still do whatever you do on your phone without too much hassle. ). 

@marilores wrote:

Thank you for reply.

I have 5GB internal and 57GB SD card,isn't that enough ?

It's not so much the size of the internal storage, or added SD card(although that CAN affect whether or not a newer Android will fit), but more an issue of the hardware that runs the phone.

Having said that, there ARE other custom ROMs, as has been mentioned, that are often running an up-to-date(or close to it) version of Android, and will often run on much older hardware.... it all depends on whether or not the folks that compile & maintain those custom ROMs feel like supporting your hardware.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need a recent chipset to run Pie OS.  Usually within last 2 -3 years.  Most phone manufacturers only offer 2 or 3 OS updates as hardware requirements are constantly changing and needed to use the latest OS.

marilores

Thank you, I will have to start looking for a new phone.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@marilores wrote:

I can't find an option to upgrade my phone  to android version 9 or 10.I am using version 6 on Polaroid phone, A600. Can anoboy help me ?

@marilores  You can't update that phone. If you want the latest version of Android you need to buy a new phone. My recommendation is to buy a phone that is part of the Android One program (Nokia, Motorola and Xiaomi) so that you will be guaranteed updates and upgrades for the next 3 years.

marilores

Thank you for your input. I think  the main issue is my 3 yrs old phone !  

Too old I guess !   🙂 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@marilores wrote:

You phone may be too old to get Android 9.  Polaroid has not have any plan to upgrade your phone to A9.  But you may be able to get custom ROM for it.

You need to unlock the bootload of your phone.  You will be out of luck if Polaroid does not let your unlock it.  Google is your friend.  Check it out yourself.

marilores

Thank you for reply.

I have 5GB internal and 57GB SD card,isn't that enough ?

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

I'm FAR from an expert on the subject, but I'm fairly sure that OS updates are pushed out via the individual phone manufacturers, and if you're only on Ver.6 at this point in time, you're PROBABLY not going to get any further updates.

There are ways around that, using 3rd party OS implementations, but they are rather convoluted to install, and not for the faint of heart when it comes to being tech savvy.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If the phone doesn't natively support Android 9 you can always install a custom rom, but you run at the risk of voiding warranty and not having everything working perfectly sometimes.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@marilores wrote:

@marilores  No offense but it might be time to consider buying a new phone if you are looking for andriod 9. That is a really budget low end phone, even if you could somehow make it run it won't run propertly. With only 1gb of memory its not going to be good.

Need Help? Let's chat.