cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

Ronald11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am trying to help my friend who's a senior and doesn't have a computer.  He got a new phone and needs to transfer his number to the new sim.  I'm having a really hard time and can't get in touch with a human.  Can someone please help!

8 REPLIES 8

So, @Ronald11 , was this person with Koodo or Public Mobile?   Have they had active service within the past 90 days?

If so, and you're keeping the same provider (i.e. not moving providers), once you get the new SIM card, it just needs to be registered to the account using a "Change SIM" feature.

In order to change the SIM card associated with your account, you must now verify your request through a one-time security code that will be sent via SMS or email.  To change your SIM card, please follow the below steps:

1. Log into your My Account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Change SIM Card
  3. Enter your new SIM card number
  4. Select where you would like your 6-digit security verification code to be sent to. You can choose to have the code sent to your email, or via SMS to your phone number. If you do not have access to your phone or cannot receive SMS, please select the email option.
  5. Check your email or phone for your security code, and input the code into the page
  6. Click “Verify Code”

Please note: after 5 failed attempts to verify your security code, your account will be locked, and you will need to have your account unlocked and your SIM card manually updated by an agent by submitting a ticket.

7.   Once you have verified your code, click “submit” to complete your SIM card change.

@Ronald11 wrote:

He had an existing public mobile flip phone.  It stopped working so he had to get another one, and Koodo gave him a new sim card.  That sim card needs to have his old number transtered to it.  The sim card numbers that they are asking for aren't taking in the fields.  There is nobody to speak to.  I called Fido.  We can transfer his number to them, but he has money on this account.

@Ronald11  - it is a little confusing what SIM is what here.

If your friend's old phone is had a Public Mobile SIM card in it, then remove the existing SIM and try the SIM into the new phone's SIM slot.

If they are the same size slots, it is an easy transfer of SIM and there is nothing more needed to do.

If the size is smaller or larger, SIMs come with outer adapters that can be gently removed or added to fit.

esjliv_0-1633259841786.png

You said Koodo gave a SIM card to your friend..are you talking a Public Mobile SIM card? This SIM card would be a 3-in-1 card like pictured above. So if adapters are needed, these could be used.

Now, it sounds like you are trying to transfer the Public Mobile phone number to Fido. Okay, yes, you can only transfer out of Public Mobile to Fido, if the Public Mobile account is ACTIVE. So if it is suspended they might as well change the plan to the cheapest $15 one, then reactivate it.

Then porting to Fido should be successful.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

There seems to be multiple things going on, I hope this all makes sense.

@Ronald11 wrote:

He had an existing public mobile flip phone.  It stopped working so he had to get another one, and Koodo gave him a new sim card.  That sim card needs to have his old number transtered to it.  The sim card numbers that they are asking for aren't taking in the fields.  There is nobody to speak to.  I called Fido.  We can transfer his number to them, but he has money on this account.

HI @Ronald11   This is PM, Koodo SIM would not work.  

Why are you calling Fido?  Fido is a different provider

Did you try to put the Old sim into the new phone?  as long as size fits, it will work

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Is your friend currently Public Mobile client?

If he still have active service with PM, there is no need to get new PM SIM. 'Old' SIM should work unless it is different format (SIM size is different - cannot fit into new phone).

You would have to open self-serving PM account for him if SIM has to be switched and to do that though account.

If you could explain a little bit more what issue you are facing we will try to help.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The old sim is likely still useable. Just take it out of the old phone and put it in the new one?

The sim is what matters. The phone just lets it connect to the network.

Can you log in to his account? Or can you create the account if the friend got set up in a store? You can change the sim on his account in there.

Ronald11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Is the friend currently with Public? Or is this a whole new account?

Need Help? Let's chat.