cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! 2 factor authentication when abroad

andrewd1031
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am outside of Canada (and US) and I use my public mobile number for 2-factor authentication. However, because I am outside of Canada, I am not receiving any text messages for verification. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions at how I can solve this problem?

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@andrewd1031 

If possible change your 2FA to voice calls then you can just call your voicemail for the verification codes. When you dial up your number press "*" when it connects and enter your 4 digit voicemail pin # to Access your voicemail. You can even suspend your account via lost/stolen before midnite eastern on your renewal night and your voicemail will stay active. (Just pay and reactivate before 89/90 days lapse.)

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@andrewd1031 

only option is to have a close family member or friend purchase a pm sim and use the change sim option so that they can receive the verification codes in canada

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Your PM service is NOT working outside of Canada/US (with add-ons) so you will not be able to receive SMS while abroad.

Even if you get voip number (textnow/fongo) you will NOT be able to receive these codes as these services do not allow short verification messages.

@andrewd1031   are you waiting for 2FA from bank or other financial institution?  If so, they have support line and you should be able to sort it out.    If you are waiting for 2FA for email like Gmail, Hotmail, then it could be more trouble as they don't have live support to talk to 

if you need to call back Canada , use VoIP app like TextNow to call, at least you got free call

andrewd1031
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for your quick response. Yikes, so I am in big trouble then...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@andrewd1031   Yes, PM only offers roaming in US and no other countries. So, if you are outside of Canada and USA, you won't receive Text

You would have to contact the company and see if you can still setup other alternate 2FA method like email (not as good) or  Authenticator App (best choice)  or if they can disable text 2FA for now.

Need Help? Let's chat.