cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to Cuba Next Week

hawket
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently a public mobile customer( I have been for about 3 years now) but unfortunately Public Mobile does not currently offer Roaming Internationally. I just purchased a plan from Koodo Mobile with another new phone number.(Because they have international roaming) as a ADD ON feature.

So what Iam looking to do possibly do is  Porting my current Public Mobile Phone Number over to Koodo Mobile, but what I was wondering if I do that, will my Public Mobile account be deactivated and will I loss all of my referral and loyality credits 

PS I was not interested in purchasing a cuba sim card once I arrive in  cuba.

If you could let me know, it would be much appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

of course not official.  US cash has high demand by locals...

@softech wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

in Cuba, for sure Cash is KING!!!  US Cash is King of the King  🙂

Are you sure  on USA cash. As I understand one must but Cuban tourist money. Or is USA good under the table?

@CountyDownIeUk 

in Cuba, for sure Cash is KING!!!  US Cash is King of the King  🙂

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Don’t forget......any American credit cards don’t work there. Even if issued in Canada...like Amex, Capital one etc. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hawket 

Don't port out of pm or you will lose your rewards account and be stuck with points. Your best bet would be to call forward your pm phone # to textnow (and texts with Mighty Text) and stick to using it on wifi as much as possible. Only use your koodo account if absolutely necessary. If you are using "Roam like Home" it only takes one text or call to activate it for the day so take advantage of the service offered because $15/day on top of your plan price is pricey.

Cuba is still infantile when it comes to their cellular/internet technologies and has limited 4G LTE network capacity so make sure your phone is compatible with their 2G and 3G networks.

Here is more info on Cuba's cellular/internet infrastructure.....

https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Cuba

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Porting out will close your account.  And if you come back and are currently on $ rewards you will have to take the the points program. Why not call forward your PM # to your Koodo number....that is....if that works when out of Canada. And cancel Koodo upon return. 

@darlicious 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Another idea would be to use the Koodo only for the trip. Forward your Public number to that Koodo number. There are apps that you can use to forward texts to the Koodo number as well.

Or just get a TextNow number and when on wifi or some local cell data service you can use the TextNow number. Do all the same forwarding there too. Don't take the Public sim with you. Leave it in a phone and plugged in.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@hawket 

If you port out your phone number ,your PM account will permanently close and you'll lose everything inside it.

You'll lose all your rewards and any available funds.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@hawket your best bet is to get a plan in Cuba for the duration of your trip 

edit yes you will lose your rewards if you port your number out of pm 

Need Help? Let's chat.