greenbriar52
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For some reason my summer address is not in your service area 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@greenbriar52 

Looking at the topography map and the satellite view it looks like you would have success with boosting your signal across the water to the tower at Manson Bay? But I am no means an expert and the cell tower there is quite low elevation wise but the local terrain doesn't appear as though it would impede the signal if perhaps you put your signal booster high enough or perhaps work with your neighbours collectively if they also have the same issue?

It does look like a lovely area for a summer home as I haven't visited many of the islands in the Georgia Strait.....just Bowen, Paisley, Denman and Hornby Islands.

Screenshot_20230106_202151_Chrome~2.jpgScreenshot_20230106_202321_Chrome~2.jpg

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

Ahhhh....Quail's Bay Rd. Lol...thx!

@darlicious   Q.B. Street is the short form, don't want to expose the address  🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

QB Street? 

@greenbriar52 

Sorry it's hard to give you a qualities answer with limited info. Assuming that the 1900 and 2100Mhz offered on the telus towers on Cortes Island are 4G LTE and being set up to also offer 5G you are left with waiting for telus to ferry in VoLTE calling for pm customers. At least you are better than being a customer of any of the many providers using or owned by Roger's using the Roger's network.

There is a workaround for your issue if you can connect to the 4G LTE network that may be as easy as purchasing a $100 signal booster from amazon and performing a few tests on your first trip to the island this year if it will work for you. Timing the purchase and your trip within the 30 day return window for Amazon will make it a risk free purchase should it not work and you need to return it. Giving the community a heads up to the timing of your trip will allow some of us with the expertise to help you be available during your testing to provide feedback.

Depending where you are located on Cortes Island and it's particular topography may allow for a connection to the 3G network from a cell tower located on Vancouver Island or Sechelt? Otherwise having a connection to the 4G LTE network and/or wifi will allow you to call forward (busy/unreachable) your pm phone # to a voip provider phone # like textnow or fongo before you leave for Cortes Island so that any incoming calling unable to reach you will be forwarded to your voip phone #. You can then use it for your outgoing calling. Your texting and mobile data will be unaffected if you can boost your signal to reach your summer home.

Downloading and installing cell mapper while on your home wifi will give you more comprehensive network signal strength data when you perform testing with a signal booster. You will definitely want @sheytoon to help when you test as they are our resident expert in these matters but there are a few others that can weigh in as well.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Looks like your island is all Telus. With some close but not as close as Telus, Rogers. Time to talk to friends in area about Rogers or Telus with or without an external antennae. See here. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

You can check coverage here

Appears green is good where I used to live in Cranston. And white is not good or just snow in the mountains. 😂😂😂

04FAFC8F-5197-4686-B5FD-A04991877EFA.png

And white in your area is not good. So PM, Telus, Bell and Koodo won’t do for you. Need to check Rogers and ?? To see if you can get coverage. May need a external antenna? See here for closest towers. 

B67DDAC3-2DD9-4FAC-A2A9-ADEB0882629C.jpeg

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@greenbriar52 

looks like Telus cell service is still spotty on Cortes. Telus hopes to have better service...eventually.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@greenbriar52   mabye you want to remove your address so we don't all come to visit you during summer? 😅🤣

did you test your phone there yourself?

According to PM coverage map , https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage, it does look like no coverage on your street.  But the next street (Q.B Road), part of it has coverage.  So, you could in fact get PM signal in your summer home, maybe weak signal

Also, since PM uses Telus and Bell network towers, I checked Bell coverage map  https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Our_network_coverage, it shows that your street has LTE coverage and no 3G coverage

But Telus coverage map shows there is no LTE and 3G coverage on your street too (again, the street next to you, Q.B Road, part of it has coverage). Interesting fact, Telus shows you have 5G coverage on your street, except PM does not use 5G signals at all 

So, what I think, best is to test it out yourself.  Test BOTH data and voice connection since PM uses LTE for data and text but uses 3G for voice. You would like to test it out yourself.  Test it both inside and outside the hours.  And walk over to the Q.B. Street and see if you see any difference there

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@greenbriar52 

Not everybody....just the name of your closest town/city to your summer address would allow us to investigate? Right now I can only assume it's in Canada unless the other 3 members decide to delve into your issue and try to resolve it?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@greenbriar52 if your summer home has Telus Mobility Coverage or even Bell it should work

Edited to add: hahaha sorry about that Bell uses Telus towers out west so if you had Bell Telus should work as well

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yikes @greenbriar52 

Now everyone knows your summer address - this is a public forum. You are not communicating with public mobile staff.

Amend your post by clicking the downward arrow on the thread. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@greenbriar52 @We are customers like you , this is a public forum hit the arrow under your name next to time stamp to edit and remove your personal info 

Need Help? Let's chat.