cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has ANYONE had any success with US Roaming add-ons?

FigBrickle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have to head to the States for some training next week. The US-Roaming packages seem easy enough to equip, but I've been reading some pretty bad feed back here on the board.

Has ANYONE had any success with the add-ons? *fingers crossed*

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

FigBrickle

lol. “Bungle”.

FigBrickle

I was in NY state. “Homebase” was Rochester, but I was out in Naples, Hector and the surrounding “Finger Lakes” area. Pretty rural at times. That’s when my calls dropped, but text and iMessage were both reliable.

Hi @FigBrickle happy that it worked!!!  And,  which states and city you were at?

For the one nit kicked in, just open ticket and request refund 

FigBrickle

Reporting back as requested:

Talk/Text both in the States and back to the GTA were fine. A bit of shoddy reception for Talk at times, but I’d give it a high 80% success rate.

(I was working mainly in the “Finger Lakes” region).

Data was pretty good. Ran out the day before coming back (originally purchased the bungle with 250mb). 

Purchased the $5 200mb top up; it didn’t kick in. Had to find a coffee shops with wifi to download my map and make sure not to stray from the path on my way back to the border.

@FigBrickle 

since your device has esim you can take a look at these data plans for your trip. 

https://esimdb.com/usa

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@FigBrickle  If it’s work related.. I’d look at other options..it should work is not reliable enough in my opinion. you don’t need to be asking why isn’t this working . Go another route.. there are many.. my 2cents…

@FigBrickle wrote:

So as long as DATA works for my maps, I'll be a happy camper.

If you are using Google maps, download areas of interest for off-line navigation.

Get Sygic app for off-line navigation. Honestly I would always prefer stand alone GPSr (Garmin) than these 'smart phones'.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@FigBrickle , if you can get by with just data, then you should be good to go.  Various chat apps can cover for SMS.  Talk is the weak link.  I used google voice for talk.  All these are available through mobile data.

Manually connect to T-Mobile. Like I said, you could try AT&T and even Verizon. Of course as with anywhere, coverage may be an issue. If you just get data then you could use a voip app for talk and text. Obviously turn on roaming data and cellular data itself.

You know you can download maps on wifi and use them offline and turn on location and it will show you where you are on the map, right? All without using data. You could set up directions on wifi too and then keep them open. But live updates and navigation...not.

Let us know your experiences with AT&T or Verizon.

FigBrickle

Thanks!
I've got to drive to several different locations that are very far away from each other throughout the week. So as long as DATA works for my maps, I'll be a happy camper. Hotel wi-fi can support me well enough when I'm not on the road.

I have an iPhone 11 - if that helps/hinders the situation. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Talk is the primary problem. Text and data should theoretically be fine. For talk, you'd need to manually connect to T-Mobile and that your phone should support the old 2G GSM that T-Mobile still runs and allows us to use. Then text and data should be fine too. But 2G coverage could be spotty.

If you have time to fiddle around you could try AT&T but I think they've abandoned us. And you could yet another verification that Verizon does not work as claimed by support. But try it if you like and report back your findings one way or the other.

Need Help? Let's chat.