cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hangout can't send MMS that's too big

dearmusic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Edit:

After some testing with @dohadotahmed, I have conclude that it's my phone's issue...

So I guess... Nevermind, sorry for weird question...

----------------------------------------

Hi,

This is not a Public Mobile problem but I am hoping if anyone in the community knows the solution for this problem...

So I am able to send and recieve SMS fine, I am able to recieve MMS fine, and I have data access.

I am able to send MMS if the picture I want to send is some what small in size, but I can not send MMS if the picture is straight from my camera, which are like 2~3 MB.

If I dont use Hangout, I can send pictures as huge as I want.

I am on Android 6.0.1 using Sony Xperia Z2.

This only happens on Hangout app, so this is definitely not an issue with Public Mobile.

Kind of dont want to install another app just for text messaging...

20 REPLIES 20

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

I am surprised your insurance broker would suggest using MMS to send images.  Email would be the best option as the image would be sent unadulterated.  Making out details in a heavily compressed image may be challenging. 

@will13am not to mention have a "paper" trail with email [virtual paper trail, electronically].  If the broker lost his/her phone, had to factory reset it, etc. then record of it would be lost.  Email would make far more sense, or some other non-MMS mechanism!

@dearmusic wrote:

Edit:

After some testing with @dohadotahmed, I have conclude that it's my phone's issue...

So I guess... Nevermind, sorry for weird question...

@dearmusic I'd still recommend using a different app for MMS.  BTW in Textra you can set your carrier's size limit and it will resize only if the file is bigger.  I'm not sure what Telus/PM's limit is, but if we found that out, could set accordingly....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@dearmusic wrote:

I guess you guys are right... Just that today my insurance broker want me to MMS him a picture of my car with winter tire on it, so he can apply the winter tire insurance discount...

I couldnt, and I dont think he want to add his client on social messaging app...

I am surprised your insurance broker would suggest using MMS to send images.  Email would be the best option as the image would be sent unadulterated.  Making out details in a heavily compressed image may be challenging. 

@NDesai wrote:

@will13am that's exactly what i meant. They don't improve sms/mms capabilities anymore. Instead its now used as simple messaging app like skype or whatsapp. 

Sorry I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

dohadotahmed

Yes I was able to send the picture you provided with no problem. Can you please pm me your Google hangouts ID so that I can send that pic to you if you don't mind for testing purpose. 

fathom
You can disable the SMS ability of Hangout and use the preinstalled Messaging app instead.
It should compress your large size picture to a smaller MMS format.

fathom
You might want to use something else for SMS MMS as Hangout might stop supporting those, plus buggy even when supporting SMS MMS.

https://www.google.ca/amp/phandroid.com/2015/12/16/hangouts-losing-sms-rumor/amp/?client=ms-android-...

dearmusic

@imm1304 @srlawren @WearySky @Cyber

Humm, so google messanger or Textra, I will give it a shot! Thanks for the suggestion!

@dohadotahmed

Can you help me do the test again with this picture?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BztS5BvuaegDdjBidVRvYlZ1cFU/view?usp=sharing

It should be 2.64MB, and this is one of the pictures I can't send...

Hangout came pre-installed as system app, so I can't uninstall it, but I did disable it and re-enable it, nothing changed...

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree with @srlawren.  I switched from Hangouts to Google Messenger a while back for SMS (after I was having issues with group SMS in Hangouts), and I love it.

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@dearmusic,

Textra is one of the best application on the market to replace your default text messaging app.

Give it a try, you won't come back to Hangout 😉

dohadotahmed

Hi, I just tried to send mms from hangouts after reading your post. I send mms of 2.95 MB and didn't have any problem.
I don't know what is the actual problem going on with your device. Can you please try to uninstall the handouts and the handouts dialer and restart your phone.
After restart try to install both the hangouts and hangouts dialer.
Please let us know if your problem solved. Thanks.

srlawren

@dearmusic there isn't really a compelling reason to use Hangouts for SMS or MMS these days, to be honest.  Take the time to try out Messenger and you'll be a lot happier in the longrun.  Even better, try out an app like TextraSMS.  It's my go-to.  Highly configurable look and feel down to the icon colour in your notifications and so on.  It's a paid app after the trial but inexpensive and well worth it.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Hey @dearmusic,

Just use the stock messaging app or Go SMS or Textra from the playstore to accomplish this specific task.  Its a workaround but it should get the job done.  

dearmusic

I guess you guys are right... Just that today my insurance broker want me to MMS him a picture of my car with winter tire on it, so he can apply the winter tire insurance discount...

I couldnt, and I dont think he want to add his client on social messaging app...

@will13am that's exactly what i meant. They don't improve sms/mms capabilities anymore. Instead its now used as simple messaging app like skype or whatsapp. 

@NDesai wrote:

Make sure your Data is turned on and APN settings are correct. 

Try another messaging app like Google Messenger. 

Hangout is kinda outdated now...so i recommend using messenger app as a default. 

Hangouts is not outdated.  Google is still supporting the app with new revisions coming out from time to time.  The problem is SMS/MMS architecture is outdated.  This form of communication came out in the 1G/2G era.  We are in the LTE/5G era where multi media content has no artificial size limitations.  Do you know of any modern day social media app that applies terminology like international/vs Canada wide/North America wide?  The internet has no political boundaries. 

Make sure your Data is turned on and APN settings are correct. 

Try another messaging app like Google Messenger. 

Hangout is kinda outdated now...so i recommend using messenger app as a default. 

dearmusic

@Watoko

I know right? Can you believe this is airplane food?

Yeah my Hangout is at latest version now...

If you have Hangout too, do you mind giving it a shot? Maybe it could be just me too...

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Off topic, but that looks really good!!! Cat Tongue

On topic, did this start recently or has it been like this for a while? Have you updated the Hangouts app?

dearmusic

I dont mind if hangout shrunks my picture or anything, but they dont even let me send it...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I believe MMS imagines are heavily shrunk down in size (300 k).  Remember it's a very old standard.  I think there's a modern standard for MMS that raises the size limit to 600 k, but still very tiny.  Only some carriers have adopted the new standard.  I am not sure what limits hangouts use to do MMS images.  

Hangouts is my go to app for everything.  I use hangouts to hangouts.  So images are sent in full size.  There's never a compatibility gap.

Need Help? Let's chat.