cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide for Foreigners?(no phone number, no bank account and no Canadian credit card)

Jaeyoung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Please help me. I’m a foreigner and I arrived here in Canada yesterday.

I don’t have phone number, bank account, and Canadian credit card. (But only visa/mastercard from my own country)

If i want to make a phone number with PM, it requires Canadian credit card. And i need phone number to make a bank account to get the Canadian credit card. 

What would work?

1. I bought a Joker card at shopper’s drug store and it didn’t work on PM. 
2. I tried recharge.com and it requires my phone number, so failed.

What else can i try for payment?

6 REPLIES 6

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Jaeyoung 

I am surprised that the reloadable CC didn’t work.

What you could do is download the TextNow app and pick a Canadian area code number when connected to wifi.

Once you have activated the PM SIM and pick a new number with PM. Just change the number with the bank.

You can keep the TextNow number or let it expire after 1 month.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Jaeyoung  most banks have a newcomer program/incentives, like CIBC depending on which country you come from.

To open a bank account, you need valid ID. Yes, they will ask for a telephone number, but I don't anticipate that they would turn you down if you don't have a telephone number.

For now, ask a trusted friend or family member (assuming you came here to someone). If you can provide the bank with their phone number until you obtain your own.

@Jaeyoung 

for phone number, you will be able to choose a new Canadian number when you setup the account 

For payment,  you can use a Prepaid credit card.  You can buy it from stores like Shoppers Drug mart or major supermarkets

And remember to buy a Public Mobile sim card (unless you choose to use esim).  You can buy a Public Mobile Sim card from Telus or Koodo stores

@Jaeyoung wrote:

I heard that to make a Canadian bank account, i need Canadian phone number first. Isn’t it?

I would think that going with an online bank would not work without a cell number but traditional banks should work.  

Jaeyoung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I heard that to make a Canadian bank account, i need Canadian phone number first. Isn’t it?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Jaeyoung , are you able to open a Canadian bank account to obtain an eligible payment card.  I don't believe support is able to assist with activating an account without an eligible payment option.  

Need Help? Let's chat.