cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nexus 5 LG can't make or receive calls with PM although texting and data worked

vktoronto
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

Hope someone can help me... I got an old Google Nexus 5 LG and it worked fine with other carrier such as Rogers. However when I bring it over to PM (with a Public Mobile SIM card which also worked fine no issues in another phone), I can not make or receive calls as it appeared the network is unavailable (incoming calls went to voicemail, but then I am unable to call my voicemail number too). The data and texting seemed to work fine though, only voice calls are not working!

I did search through this forum for related posts, and it was suggested before that 3G network setting should be selected instead of 4G LTE... However if I select 3G in network settings then everything (call, text, data) does not work at all (while with LTE the texting and data can still work). 

Will appreciate any advice to resolve this issue... it seems like a "partial" software compatibility issue with PM, not a hardware issue (because the phone works well with Rogers SIM card).

Thank you very much in advance.

83 REPLIES 83

vktoronto

@softech Thank you for all your help. I just could not understand how come this phone can work on Rogers network but not on Telus network... are they not basically same technology? 

@vktoronto  I think something wrong with the 3G channels on your phone.  If you put your Roger/Fido sim back, try to select 3G only and see if it works

But, with all the troubleshooting so far, you might want to give up this phone on PM...   😞

vktoronto

@softech yes data and text work, only voice does not work

vktoronto

Yes it is all up to date with Android 6. I also flashed a custom LineageOS ROM for Android 11.

Selected "3G only" option resulted right away in "network unavailable" error message.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@vktoronto  the Nexus is all up to date with the software an OS?

and again, data is working, right? just not voice?

give it at try to 3G ONLY again please. 

[and yes, Nexus 5 does not have VoLTE..]

vktoronto

There is no VoLTE option in my phone settings even with the SIM inside.

@vktoronto wrote:

@softech Yes I already tried both you suggestions:

- this same PM SIM worked fine in another phone (make and receive calls).

- put other Rogers/Fido SIM in this Nexus 5 phone, and it worked fine too.

I will submit a ticket as you suggested. Thank you!

if the PM SIM works fine in another phone, then it is a device issue.  I don't think PM Support can do much as this point, it is very likely a device setup issue

Since it works on Rogers/Fido SIM, can you put the Roger/Fido SIM back,and TURN OFF VoLTE?  I wonder if it was enabled when you were using it with Roges/Fido

vktoronto

@softech Yes I already tried both you suggestions:

- this same PM SIM worked fine in another phone (make and receive calls).

- put other Rogers/Fido SIM in this Nexus 5 phone, and it worked fine too.

I will submit a ticket as you suggested. Thank you!

vktoronto

Yes it shows LTE right now and Settings confirmed it's on LTE... 3G will not work at all, as I mentioned previously.

@vktoronto   If you have a second phone around, try it to put the PM SIM there. 

or if you have another active SIM, try to put in the Nexus.  Just to confirm if it is a phone issue or SIM

At the same time, please open a ticket with PM Support and have them confirm the setup on the back end.  To open ticket with PM support:

1. If you have access to Self-Serve My account: For faster response (2-48 hours) , Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with above method: you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

vktoronto

The phone was from Canada.

I just factory reset with PM SIM inside... still same problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vktoronto : The fact that it works with Rogers isn't necessarily that it would work here. For such an older phone maybe it uses GSM which Rogers still uses. This place uses UMTS (or WCDMA or HSPA or the other kind of 3G). But of course the confusing part is that LTE works.

@vktoronto wrote:

Thank you. Model number is LG-D820. I will try factory reset again with PM SIM inside and report (although I remember also had it inserted when I reset previously).

@vktoronto   Did you got your phone from Canada or US or elsewhere?  But either way, your phone should have all the require bands

this is the band  infos (the BOLD one are the compatible bands) :

3G bands HSDPA 800 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 900 - North American version
                 HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
4G bands  1, 2, 4, 5, 17, 19, 25, 26, 41 - North America
                   1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20

@Reenie wrote:

If i factory reset do I loose everything on my phone?

@Reenie   Yes you do.

But, before you do so, please backup  all your pictures , or video or other important files onto a computer first 

Then you can run cloud backup onto Google/iCloud/Samsung.. etc

Then after you factory reset, try NOT to restore your things back to the phone yet.  Just make calls and make sure data working.  If everything works, then start restore

However, before you do so, can you confirm what model and brand of your phone?  Some phones do not have the require bands on PM and won't work or won't work well here

Reenie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If i factory reset do I loose everything on my phone?

vktoronto

Thank you. Model number is LG-D820. I will try factory reset again with PM SIM inside and report (although I remember also had it inserted when I reset previously).

vktoronto

Hi, I am in Toronto 🙂

@vktoronto wrote:

Sorry I missed the 2nd part... Yes I also tried factory reset to no avail  😞

@vktoronto   You tried Factory reset with the PM SIM inside during the reset and setup?  Sometimes, it will make a difference

Can you also go into your phone About section and give us the exact model number?  Just want to look up the bands on this phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vktoronto : Your username suggests otherwise but are you in Manitoba?

@Reenie : Please start your own thread. vktoronto would likely not want to be seeing all the replies for you. If this was an old thread then that would be different. What make/model is your phone?

vktoronto

Sorry I missed the 2nd part... Yes I also tried factory reset to no avail  😞

vktoronto

Just to be clear... my phone is able to connect to PM network and send/receive text and data. Only calls do not work...

vktoronto

Thank you for your advice. Yes I did try the network reset but that did not help resolve this problem.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@vktoronto 

did you try Network Reset ?  It is common that LG phone needs Network Reset when it is used on a new network. 

(Please note Network reset will wipe your pre-set Wifi setting as well)

If Network Reset does not work, you might have to Factory reset as well.  We did see that factory reset was the way to  resovle the issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.