cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to USA, will my phone receive texts/calls while using free WiFi?

Coaster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've got the basic plan $15. Without any any add ons, will I be able to make calls/text and go online while using wifi at my hotel.

Thanxs

9 REPLIES 9

@Ando wrote:

@Coaster 

if you are in US for Unlimited Text add-ons not works.

The only unlimtied text messaging add-on that Public Mobile has is for roaming while in the U.S. It's designed specifically for that purpose.

I can confirm what @dust2dust says is correct....I've tried it and it no workie without an active 10 Day US Data add-on as well. SMS will work...just not MMS.

If you just wanna basic text while in US, the $8 text option will work.

If you wanna send pics back and forth...you need both US text & data options.

May as well get the full meal deal...10 Day US talk / text / data (250MB's) for $20. Just be aware...I found US talk to be unreliable in rural areas, but sorta ok in urban areas. Make sure to manually select T-Mobile as your network for use in US.

(you can try Verizon...let us know if you have success using Verizon)

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @Coaster yes you may.  But you have to make sure your data is turned on and roaming data is enabled to send MMS.  It won't cost you real data but you need that enabled

I don't believe this to be true. I think it needs the presence of roaming data to also do MMS.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Coaster 

PM doesn’t operate on wifi calling. If your family and friends are on WhatsApp, you can make calls and text for free through wifi.

Or you can also use the TextNow app.

Hi @Coaster yes you may.  But you have to make sure your data is turned on and roaming data is enabled to send MMS.  It won't cost you real data but you need that enabled

Coaster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanxs for all the quick and informative information! I'm impressed.

One last question: If I got the "$8 Unlimited Text" addon would I be able to send photos?

Would these texts work on all phones and servers?

Once again, thanxs in advance!

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Nope. You would need either US add-on (with not much functionality depending on your lick) or just get free voip app with Canadian number.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Not with Public. But certainly if you got a voip app.

@Coaster wrote:

I've got the basic plan $15. Without any any add ons, will I be able to make calls/text and go online while using wifi at my hotel.

Thanxs

Public Mobile doesn't offfer Wi-Fi calling.  Also SMS text messages cannot be sent or received over Wi-Fi. You will still received SMS text messages, but that's because Public Mobile allows this even if you don't have a roaming add-on (it would go through the cellular network). For outgoing SMS, you will need a roaming add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.