cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gave information about my plan to a stranger over the phone

Lilfoo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone, I let my guards down and answered a call from someone presenting themselves as “Telus Mobility”. I told them the cell provider I am with, the device I use and how much I pay a month. Once I answered the three questions, the hung up on me. I am afraid what that information could now get them access to. Are these same questions Public Mobile would ask me if they had to authenticate me? Can someone now get access to my Public Mobile account knowing that info? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Lilfoo 

The call might be legit. My number belongs to Telus as I ported it to PM. And in the past when I had all services with Telus they would call my mobile number. Since you did not give a phone, number, account number or your name...I would not worry. But as suggested, change your My Account password. And the name on your My Account does not have to be correct. To prevent SIM jacking.....if your name on account is John Doe....change it to John MacDoe and make a record of it just in case PM needs to verify you.  Can you recall the caller ID?. Google it and see what it says....but that too can be spoofed. I have had Telus contract call centres call me and some can be rude. 

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dust2dust wrote:

Log in to your account and change the password. Contact the support people to inform of this event.

So they have your number, now they have the provider, the device could be used to verify the account (not likely) and what you pay (they sometimes ask money questions). So they could be asking the agents for access to your account.

I agree.  This sounds like a phishing play with the intent to use social engineering to obtain access, especially if this call was received on the user's PM cell phone.  The rogue party would have cell phone number, carrier, plan and amounts.  

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think you're fine.  They can't log in to your account with that information.  In the future you might want to keep these things to yourself unless you are calling them.

Based on other comments it looks like changing your password would be a good idea.  

Good luck and be more careful in the future. 😎

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Log in to your account and change the password. Contact the support people to inform of this event.

So they have your number, now they have the provider, the device could be used to verify the account (not likely) and what you pay (they sometimes ask money questions). So they could be asking the agents for access to your account.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Lilfoo hi as long as you didn't give them your cc info or account number you should be ok, but don't be doing that again lol public may ask you to confirm who you where only if you opened a ticket with them to inquire about a problem you where having.

Need Help? Let's chat.