cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friend unable to complete account setup... Not receiving text verification

Sparx
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Helping a friend who just bought the 65 GB US/Canada plan. She tried setting up the account but never got the text messages the system said it was sending so her account remains as unverified. She has an iPhone 14 and set up an eSIM.

Her Public Mobile number worked here in Canada so we assumed all was fine, but the problem is now she is in the US and has no working phone. She can get Internet only via wifi when she stops so has asked me to help.

How does she a) get past the text message verification and b) get her phone to work in the US?

Thanks,

Stephen

5 REPLIES 5

Sparx

Yes...
Update: She has been able to get outbound voice and data working in the US once she got onto the AT&T network. Something that wasn't initially available.

At this point calls to her number go straight to voicemail (she has checked iPhone 14 settings and there's no apparent reason for this) and SMS text messages also do not work. 

The result of this is that she cannot fully verify the account with Public Mobile and therefore can not contact PM CS directly. CS won't discuss things with me so I have asked them again to reach out to her via email. Hopefully they will do that tomorrow.

We'd be happy for any suggestions on why the phone won't ring or SMS messages come in...

Thanks
Stephen

Sparx

Thanks, but the link behind your text is different and takes one to a site that allows you to check to see if your IMEI is on a blacklist that is reported stolen. I have been in touch with CS, but she is not able to as her phone is not receiving text messages so she is unable to proceed past the phone verification.

@Sparx wrote:

Thanks, 

She now has voice calling through Verizon in the US, but no data and no SMS text messaging. There doesn't seem to be an option to connect to other networks, and I am not convinced it would help.

This is because she never received the very first text message that would allow her to associate the account with her phone number there's been no "verification" and the system won't get past this message requiring a code be sent to the device. Her area code is 506, which is a New Brunswick exchange... It's been reported that some people have experienced extensive delays in getting those verification messages when hey have odd exchanges on their phones. 

We would really like some help and someone from PM to help this situation.

@Sparx 

Strange.  Public mobile does not use Verizon.  Instead uses AT&T and T mobile US partners.  

Just to clarify.  Your friend purchased the $65 plan and activated while in Canada.  The service was working in Canada, but unable to work in the USA right now?  

Here is an article of US Roaming troubleshooting:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/us-roaming-troubleshooting

Rebooting phone. Network reset of phone (this will erase saved Wifi passwords) are some basic initial steps. Manually selecting T mobile or AT&T carriers.   

Your friend could private message customer service agent via the following link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Sparx

Thanks, 

She now has voice calling through Verizon in the US, but no data and no SMS text messaging. There doesn't seem to be an option to connect to other networks, and I am not convinced it would help.

This is because she never received the very first text message that would allow her to associate the account with her phone number there's been no "verification" and the system won't get past this message requiring a code be sent to the device. Her area code is 506, which is a New Brunswick exchange... It's been reported that some people have experienced extensive delays in getting those verification messages when hey have odd exchanges on their phones. 

We would really like some help and someone from PM to help this situation.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Sparx is her phone working in US?? did she try to connect manually to T-Mobile or AT&T??

for thr 2FA code, try click Didnt receive code and see if sending to email is an option 

if still have problem, please submit ticket with CS agent by messaging them here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.