cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flip phone

Benni2021
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I want to buy a flip phone, and use PublicMobile as my provider. Is that possible? 

Also, I want to keep my same number. How do I do that?

144 REPLIES 144

Benni2021

I will certainly keep your suggestions in mind. Thank you!

@Benni2021 

I used to hate smartphones too....but I begrudgingly got brought into the 21st century by the loss of my in charge of all things techie partner. So where as my flip phone is my back up to my smartphone (really it backs up the bf's because I don't actually lose phones...) you can just use your smartphone to back up your new flip phone.

If you are feeling adventurous one day download the fongo calling app on wifi for the smartphone. Then you have a back up phone number/calling option for free. If you are on the limited outgoing calling $15 plan it can be used to call your voicemail for free ( dial your number, press * when it connects and enter your voicemail pin code #.) Also handy if you are out of outgoing minutes or you want to save some for an emergency call to someone.

The $15 plan is usually backed up by purchasing the $5/500 min canada wide calling add on. Its a one time purchase....add $5 to your account balance. Select the add on, confirm and submit your purchase. It stays on your account rolling over each 30 days until completely consumed. You will still get the text message from pm saying you have 10 minutes remaining in your plan but it will seamlessly switch over to your add on.

Fongo dialer.....easy to dial and hang up!

Screenshot_20210518-123006.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : It was to see if it was still active with that old number. I guess you can stop the whole Bell account now then. And you've made sure you can both make and receive calls right?

Here's a trick for voicemail if you're on the $15 plan to save your minutes. Log in to the self-serve and reset voicemail password. That will reset it to your 10 digit number. Then you can use another phone and call your number and follow prompts. You might need to press * when a recording starts. Now you can do all the set up without using the minutes. If you're not on the $15 plan then minutes don't matter.

Benni2021

No I haven't tried that. Don't feel the need to. I'm happy with the number PM gave me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : Can't blame ya. It's still a pretty current-ish phone. You might be able to sell it. Could keep it as a back up. Give it to a friend or family member.

The phone being from 2019 should be unlocked. So that shouldn't be a worry if and when you do something with it.

Have you tried the phone with the Bell SIM in it for a call or text? Do you want to keep that phone number and use it here?

Benni2021

Thanks for understanding.

I hate smartphones. Every time I try to hang up (and I do know how) after a call, it wouldn't. I just kept getting "you may hang up now" non- stop. I'd finally had to turn off the phone to get rid of It.

Yes, I prefer video calls through Facebook. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : That's an entirely reasonable way to look at your needs and usage. (not to judge 🙂 )

For the longest time I didn't get into texting. But it became a pretty convenient way to fire off a quick message. For an actual conversation of course a phone call wins. Video calls are also nice to be able to see the people. Especially this past year.

I'm still curious why you decided to get a flip phone when you had a "smart" phone. The PM SIM will very likely work in it.

I'm the same way...but it should work!! But yeah if you really just don't need it....

Benni2021

Hubs is useless when it comes to technology. I'm a whIz with computer issues, and was good at cellphones, but that's changed since my stroke. 

I never take pics with a cellphone. Don't really want to try -- sorry.

Hubs says I never text, and he's right. I don't know why I'm so insistent on fixing this issue. I guess because I feel a device should work properly. 

I thank you for all your help with this, but I think I'll calm down and just be grateful it calls out and receives calls. 

@Anonymous 

If you remember earlier the hubby put the sim in the wrong way....this may not be helpful!😃

@Benni2021 

Sorry I couldn't resist!😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : Treading very delicately...so where's the husband you mentioned earlier? You two can tag team with each others hands. Of course none of this is any of our business...and you can say as much. 

We'd just like to see all this come to a happy conclusion.

So on other functions...have you tried taking a picture and sending it via text? It's called MMS or picture messaging. That would identify some other settings that might be needed. It uses a different method to send so it's not related to your current texting issue.

Benni2021

Thanks for the info darlicious!

No, I can't do it myself. Due to a stroke, 5 years ago, I only have the use of one hand. If it wasn't for that, I would be able to do all this stuff easily. 🙂

@Benni2021 

If its a reprovisioning issue....then the moderators can help. If its a device issue then we will be better help then the moderators because testing will have to be done and they are busy working and we are bored and keen to help.

If you wish to contact the moderators you may prefer my method ( I don't like simple simon) ....response time is about 10 minutes lately.

Contact the moderators by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:

1. Full name and address on account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If you cannot remember your pin # include at least three of the following:

1. Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses today. Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the moderators click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : If you weren't successful with porting the number then if you want it you'll need to do that _soon_ or pay again because the sending service needs to be active. Can you still do phone things on the Samsung? If not then you transferred. If so then you didn't.

@Benni2021 

Just to be clear you did port your phone number from bell to pm ?

Then as stated by @Anonymous your bell account and service is cancelled.

Now what did your friend do that you can't do? Because I am pretty sure you can do it too!

Benni2021

Thank you!

@Benni2021  you can contact the mod by:

directly at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot
Enter your question in SIMon. Follow the prompts until you reach the Contact Us button,

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the moderators (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Benni2021

I wasn't able to do that, don't remember why. Again, I can't do anything further until my friend gets back and it will be too late to try that.

How do I contact a moderator? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : If you successfully transferred your number from the old Bell account, that account is closed. With the Bell SIM still in the Samsung, can you text or call out? Even just to yourself? If not then indeed the account is closed. Remember, it's not the phone that is Bell...it's the SIM and service of it. The phone is a non-communicating device (other than 911) until it gets a SIM. But I understand that you're identifying it that way.

I sometimes use 4X readers to do small, up close, detailed work.

@Benni2021 

Service on your bell phone ends tomorrow? Did you not port your bell number in?

@Benni2021 

Try testing your sim card in the other phone as suggested by @Anonymous . Once you put the pm sim card in the samsung phone send yourself or your husband a text and see what happens. Report back.

Benni2021

I'd have to wait until my friend comes again, and she's traveling right now. Gone for a few days. Service on my Bell phone ends tomorrow. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : There was an idea earlier to switch the PM SIM from the new phone into your old phone. Now that you're all expert on re/re of SIM cards 🙂 maybe you could try out your new SIM in the old phone as suggested earlier. Careful with the snapping out of the plastic frame. One edge is quite thin.

This will be definitive as to whether the problem is with the phone or the service.

You might be confronted with a provider-locked phone. We'll cross that bridge when we need to.

Benni2021

I've checked every setting, none for that.

No, I  haven't ever contacted a moderator. 

And you guys thought you were done with me. Ha! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : You bought the phone new right? Did it come with a manual? Does it say F### like F240 or something? Not saying there is a setting but keep looking under SMS settings or even just general settings. It could be called Message Center.

@Benni2021 

Ok at this point you may need a moderator. They may need to reprovision your sim card/ reset your account. Have you been in contact with the moderators before this?

Benni2021

Reboot didn't work. No setting like that. This time when I tried to send a text, it said I wasn't subscribed to that. ???

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : Somewhere in the settings to do with SMS might be a field for SMSC # for SIM1. If it doesn't say +16475800172 then see if you can edit it. The number should have happened on its own but who knows. Give it a whirl.

So whatever came of the long update you mentioned?

@Benni2021 

This is the flip phone? Try rebooting.

Benni2021

I'm receiving texts ok, but unable to send a reply -- "Send failed" is what comes up.

Do I need to contact PM about it or still get help from this forum?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : Well...let's see:

1. acquire SIM online

2. activate

3. port while activating

4. assess and choose suitable plan

5. pay for it

6. know that you have to still use the old SIM in the meantime

7. confirm the port

8. open a sim tray

9. open a phone back

10. pull a battery

11. know the different sizes of SIM's.

12. insert a sim the right way

13. place a SIM in a tray the right way

13. insert the tray

14. insert battery

15. close a phone back

16. log in to account

17. create community account

18. log in to it

19. create a thread asking a question

20. reply to replies (could use some tips on the @ usage and/or the quote button 🙂 )

Now you can use your referral code and get crackin' referring others so you can start adding up the rewards. Lots of people here "manage" accounts for others..family or not.

You'll likely be pleasantly surprised early next month to see a little reward for all this community activity. Then you can hang around here posting things to help other newbies with all your newfound expertise and keep collecting a community reward. Rock n roll.

Welcome to Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.