cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First 3 day experience with PM

Respublica
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I transferred my phone from Freedom to PM on Sunday and today is my 3rd day on PM

There 3 main issues that I have with Freedom

1. Lost signal in certain location: my car park, gym waiting area etc

2. Cannot call my clinic phone number

3. Lost signal in Steveston, Richmond, BC

So in my move to PM, I am hoping to clean up those 3 issues that I have

So far 1 and 2 are solved. This morning I called my clinc number and instead of the usual "click" I can reached the answering machine (I purposely called this morning before 7 AM). Issue no 1 were solved. I can get signal in my car park (underground), I can call from waiting room of my gym and swimming pool.

I have not been able to know whether issue no 3 will be solved but my daughter who live there is using Telus and it works normal. So I am assuming that since PM is using Telus network, my phone will get the needed signal. Am I correct? In the past whenever I visited my daughter and family there, I cannot make a call and unable to receive calls.

Can any body enlighten me on this?

19 REPLIES 19

Respublica

@srlawren

Wonderful info for living in Metro Vancouver. So Roger Fido and Chatr can still enjoy data when in the tunnel from Expo station to Waterfront.  Thanks for the clear exposition of the data availability.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Respublica fair enough!

For the record, Telus does NOT have coverage inside the tunnel.  And since Koodo and PM are owned and operated by Telus, they do not either.  And since Bell and Telus share towers, with Telus operating the bulk of the towers in the western part of the country (and Bell likewise in the eastern parts--with some overlap in both), by extension neither do Bell, Virgin, and Lucky Mobile.

Rogers was the first to introduce service in the tunnel, sometime last year or very early this year.  Originally they had an exclusive agreement, and that meant that only Rogers and their flanker brands Fido and Chatr could get signal of any kind in the tunnel.  Then a few months ago, it was announced that Freedom Mobile also now has service in the tunnels.  

So, that's the lay of the land if at some point the underground portion of the Stadium<->Waterfront section of the Expo line becomes important to you 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Respublica

@srlawren

I am rational and very reasonable. I do not expect to get signal when travelling underground. So I never browse internet when the train is underground. Otherwise I would have to buy expensive package with Rogers or Telus who probably have underground transmitter inside the tunnel

srlawren

@Respublica if you're getting any signal at all using PM on the Expo line between Stadium (at the station is fine, but just west of it) and Waterfront, it's something of a miracle since there is zero Telus or Bell signal in that tunnel.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Respublica

@srlawren

I  lost connection to any signal only when I visited Steveston which is in Richmond. That is only one or 2 day per month. Most of the transit I took in fact is not Canada Line.

I mostly use the Expo Line and the bus. So I have no problem getting data, with Freedom and with PM.

Respublica

@dna2016

You are correct. My so called underground is only 1 floor down. I tested this in my own condo complex and also in my Gym complex. Both are now OK, vs Freedom where I am lost.

On my bill, it is only slightly less. I am with Freedom $40 for 4GB data, canada wide calling etc and get $2 discount monthly due to having 2 numbers, one for me and one for the wife.. With PM, I will get +$1 each coming year, so in the end after 5 years I will get $5 off per number

srlawren

@Respublica wrote:

Thanks @dna2016

Yes, PM actually solved 3 of my main conetntion with Freedom. However Freedom gave me LTE speed, which is also important since a big part of my life is spent on  public transport.

@Respublica I'm not sure which forms of tansit you use.  I'm guessing since you seem to live in Richmond, if you're taking a SkyTrain, it's likely to be the Canada Line.  If that's the case, yeah Telus network is fine.  If you find yourself on the Expo line, do note that you will get zero service between just west of Stadium station (when you head underground) right through to Waterfront, since Rogers and Freedom have exclusive access to that underground tunnel.  Also in and around the Columbia and Edmonds station you will find pockets of zero signal, at leat some of the time.  I'm guessing these probably won't apply to your sitatuion, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

Respublica

@pakmode

thanks for your welcoming greeting.

Hope to meet you later in another topic

Respublica

Thanks @dna2016

Yes, PM actually solved 3 of my main conetntion with Freedom. However Freedom gave me LTE speed, which is also important since a big part of my life is spent on  public transport. Hence data is important and sometimes I need faster speed. Fortunately I seldom check videos, I browse mainly news and articles.

I was with Wind in its early life, but only for a few month. Reason is I am unhappy with the way they take away my $ balance for roaming when I actually should not be charged for roaming. But then - their coverage is very limited, so many times we are considered roaming due to lack of Wind's towers

I then started with Freedom again in 2015 till last month. Much better and more fair. However the 3 issues bugged me and I moved to PM. The rest is history 🙂

Respublica

@Good1

Thanks, so far so good.

Respublica

Hi @EKU76

I guess from looking at the towers in Richmond, they are mostly Telus towers, only 1 Rogers tower. It is certainly not the phone problem but the lack of Freedom tower in the area. I use LG, my wife use Samsung. Both if us are "lost" in Steveston area of Richmond. My son have Blackberry phone with Fido and he is "lost" too. The towers map explains it all. Rogers have only 1 tower in the area while Telus have many.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to PM OP.

Good1

Enjoy the network! 🙂

EKU76
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Have you been to your daughters place yet? Technically, if she has TELUS with an ok signal, you will have the same. As you suggested they use the same network. I switched to PM just yesterday and was surpised that I now have coverage in areas where my Rogers phone didn't. For example at the YMCA that I visited this morning. Should you not get a signal at your daughters place, it might also be your phone's capabilities. We use 3 different phones at home and I noticed my older ones actually have better reception wherever I go. They are probably stuffed with less electronics. 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Respublica thanks for sharing your early experiences with PM compared to the competitor.  Ya PM's signal strength, which is Telus's, should be very good.  I'm actually surprised you get signal underground, usually service is very poor underground because tower signals can't go through all that cement, dirt, etc., I'm guessing you're only down one level.  Regarding your calls to Richmond BC, I'm assuming you live in BC so if you have the province wide calls then you should be good.  If you don't live in BC then make sure you have the Canada wide calling.

Freedom's signal strength is probably nowhere near as good as Telus, Bell, and Rogers yet.  Shaw just bought them I think one or 2 years ago when they were called Wind, so i'm sure Shaw is still working on establishing more towers.   

Nice to see that PM is solving some of your issues, and to top it off you have the opportunity to decrease your bill every month, always nice to see that payment decrease Smiley LOL

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Pm always had a good signal ever since telus acquired it 😊

Respublica

@NDesai

Thank you flr providing the confirmation of  my educated  guess  based  on  my family's use of Telus.  

@will13am

Your tower map provide tbe backing to @NDesai's statement, thank you for the additional great info.

You both provide great service to this community. Now i do not need to travel there - taking 1 hour- to test whether my phone will work there . It is confirmed by  the fact that  my  daughter ' Telus phone works and that there are many Telus towers in the area

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Respublica, try using this link to examine the tower sites in relation to the areas where you are having reception issues.  The only thing I can think of that may be affecting signal is band compatibility on the phone.  Some phones have more LTE bands and may perform better in certain locations because of that. 

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Welcome to Public Mobile!

@Respublica wrote:

I have not been able to know whether issue no 3 will be solved but my daughter who live there is using Telus and it works normal. So I am assuming that since PM is using Telus network, my phone will get the needed signal. Am I correct? In the past whenever I visited my daughter and family there, I cannot make a call and unable to receive calls.

Can any body enlighten me on this?

Correct. You shouldn't have any issue using your phone at that location as Telus/Bell towers are present nearby. 

Need Help? Let's chat.