cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido offers 5 free hours of data every month.

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

"Starting today, new and existing Fido Pulse plan customers can take advantage of an innovative new feature available in the Fido My Account app that gives them access to 1 free hour of data, 5 times a month – on top of the data included in their plans."

Fido shakes things up, giving customers 5 free hours of data a month

32 REPLIES 32

Aaronmclean1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I used almost 5 gigs in one data session so it is actually worth having the data bits

@Mana

Can use 1 free hour every 24 hours

Can either shake phone or click accept to start

Once started if you leave Rogers territory free hour ends

Once started if you go onto wifi free hour ends

Can not tether or they cripple speed

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Before comentimg on it further, what are the rules of this free data usage?

is it that if you start the using the free data then you have to use the entire one hour at a time otherwise it is lost? Or is it that you can use it in any increment of time?

Raven_Jet
What phone do you have?

choding
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sorry, I have never watch any movies on the phone.

I only use my phone for text and call.

Raven_Jet
Oh ok thanks for the update on that. But if I had unlimited and was at a coffee shop. Or travelling id want to tether my laptop to the phone. Then steam Netflix on it.

@echf unless you live in MB / SK / PQ / or TBay

Actually I blame Telus for carriers killing off unlimited data

Bell used to sell the $75 Tablet SIMs all the time, until Telus started billing them for "excessive" roaming

Bell called every single client and either changed thier plans or cancelled thier lines 

@echf wrote:

Quite useful if you are having lunch but the restaurant don't offer Wi-Fi + you need to download video. 

BTW You know it is almost impossible for BIG 3 to offer unlimited data. Smiley LOL

@Raven_Jet hey sorry my other reply was to your post maybe was not clear

Fido *only* limits speed if you tether

On device use is full LTE

Raven_Jet
You can't really download anything if you are locked at 3G... I really don't think that's a good deal. 5 one hour unlimited slots of data, yet you're held back to 3G. What's the max you can download in an hour on 3G speed?

Someone please calculate it for me. Can you even run two YouTube streams or even Netflix?

echf

Quite useful if you are having lunch but the restaurant don't offer Wi-Fi + you need to download video. 

BTW You know it is almost impossible for BIG 3 to offer unlimited data. Smiley LOL

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I wouldn't really use it.  Why not just offer extra data or unlimited data? 🙂

pakmode

It's a cool concept in theory, but let's see how it goes in practise. 

@choding I prefer Fido over Virgin, Chatr & Koodo as far as service goes

I had much better experiance with them

choding

I have used fidoseveral years, but getting worse.

sometimes I compared with other company as virgin, koodo and chatr, etc.

they don't have any benefit on their plan and never mind to compete with wind and koodo.

I hope they run good business.

Raven_Jet
OMG that's garbage!!

@Raven_Jet not really

If you check the faq while tethering data bytes they cripple your speed to 3G

Raven_Jet
Well, if you are allowed to tether your computer to your phone and start downloading torrents and play netflix for 1 hour!! LTE? How much data would that be? 3-5gb?

Its a strange idea 

They advertise it as for streaming video, but most videos are longer than 1 hour (so a scam to get you to use paid data?)

They also put a cap on so if you used 1 data byte you can not use the next one for 12+ hours later (so your data is not really "when you really need it" unless willing to pay up)

shawnie_boy

Pretty good feature. Something public mobile should think about. 

This can come in handy for those random times you are out and want to watch something. For me I am on wifi most of the time, so this would be great addon for those times I need to stream for the kids etc... 

Acekiller

it is a tiny step towards unlimited bandwidth.

5 hours free data that's won't attract me at all. I would rather like extra gb or 2 but 5 hours won't work. And not enough to get pm customer. Lol
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Potentially, it could be more.  How fast can you download in an 1 hour period?  Limited only byy bandwith, and the time period.

suefs

It's a pretty good feature for those who remember to use it. 5 free hours a month could amount to about 5 gb of extra data a month. 

The data can be used for anything you wish according to the article I read (netneutrality), however if you want to get an hour of data, it starts immediately, and you use it until a pop up tells you it's done.

Must use each 1GB of data all at once, and can not stop / start within the 1 GB (ie save a bit for later).

I like my PM plan, time of use data doesn't work for me.

TheOldVR

@xCameron94x wrote:

thats 5 "free" hours of Pokemon GoSmiley Wink

@xCameron94x... Well that changes Everything!!!

Looks like I'm porting over to Fido then 🤣😝

thats 5 "free" hours of Pokemon GoSmiley Wink

jpar

@Acekiller wrote:

it is only good for HD movie streaming/ thethering .  Don't really see any other use for it.

I wonder if tethering is even allowed with this?

Acekiller

it is only good for HD movie streaming/ thethering .  Don't really see any other use for it.

echf

True. Most people will just forget it. 

BTW I know in China, they offer super cheap hourly data package.

CAD$2 you can get 5GB for 12 hours. Public Mobile should consider offering those pre-paid package. I think is better than Fido's plan.

Jamar_so_far

@TheOldVR

I disagree. That is a sweet idea. Think of those times when you are in a pinch. You either find wifi or just swallow the pill and use data. I'm thinking of times when I wish I would have downloaded that playlist or grabbed some podcasts to my phone before a road trip or in an airport with bogus wifi. I was just in this situation a month ago and had to download a few hundred mb's of music. 

The other thing that could be pretty cool is with netflix and amazon prime video where you can download to your device. You could easily grab a few gb's of stuff on the run without worrying. As long as the functionality is as promised (open the app and shake the phone) it could be really interesting. But I do hear ya, I think the majority of Fido users won't pick up on this. Plus, Fido could just take it away, so its certainly not a thing that would consider me to switch mobile companies. 

Need Help? Let's chat.