cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI on US roaming

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Those traveling to the US and are considering using the US roaming add-ons should be mindful that AT&T is sunsetting their 3G network on February 2022.  

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171

T-Mobile is not too far behind with retiring their 3G network by July 1, 2022.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

A VoLTE compatible device is going to come in handy or expect potential reduced calling capability.  

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chad2001 : PM currently has two roaming partners: AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T is scheduled to turn off their 3G in a couple days. T-Mobile in a couple months. So just don't even bother connecting to AT&T and just stick with T-Mobile.

Regulars here would be interested to hear if you connect to AT&T and try a voice call and that your phone might be configured for VoLTE whether the call works using VoLTE. This is after the 22nd.

Be aware that the add-on starts right away when you buy it. So buy it shortly before leaving or upon arrival.

You can still receive texts in the states but you can't reply without an add-on.

You will likely get a free call or two upon connecting to a US tower without an add-on. After that, not.

Please do report back your findings on that - if you don't buy an add-on...yet.

Buy the add-on at the top of an hour so that you can know when it will expire exactly 240 hours later. Don't forget to have money in your Available Funds first to buy the add-on. It's a bit non-intuitive.

The talk and text add-ons will appear on the Plan Details page. The data under My Data & Add-ons.

Coming up on the expiry, come back and we can give you some ideas as re-buying the same add-on is problematic.

chad2001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sorry, what does this all mean?  Are call/text/data going to work normally or should we expect reduced service?  I was about to purchase a US Roaming package for my trip next week, and saw the heads up.  (iPhone user here, not sure if it makes any difference).

@Yummy wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Well of course.  If not, even their own customers would not be able to make phone calls.  Here in Canada, we are going slow on 3G retirement.

Does it mean that older phones like Samsung S6, S7 will stop working with PM?

@Yummy   S6 and S7 has VoLTE.. just a matter if the network will accept it

and at least for T-Mobile , from an old post:

T-Mobile's VoLTE phones include the Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Light and Note 3 and the LG G Flex, 

@will13am wrote:

Well of course.  If not, even their own customers would not be able to make phone calls.  Here in Canada, we are going slow on 3G retirement.

Does it mean that older phones like Samsung S6, S7 will stop working with PM?

I just not sure if we , PM customers on roaming, are able to access VoLTE  since Fido is not offering this for its prepaid customer in response to the the "death" of 3G in US

And technically, now ALL VoLTE phones can be used in those US network? no longer selected phones like here in Canada?

@softech wrote:

@will13am So it is confirmed that VoLTE is enabled and  will when roaming on AT&T and T-Mobile network?

Well of course.  If not, even their own customers would not be able to make phone calls.  Here in Canada, we are going slow on 3G retirement.  I believe the latest information says end of 2025.  With so much time to go, who know if the date will be punted down the road even further.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@will13am So it is confirmed that VoLTE is enabled and  will when roaming on AT&T and T-Mobile network?

Need Help? Let's chat.