cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Call only

james12341
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I already spoke to a customer service representative and they didn't solve my issue. Instead they told me to reformat my phone and if that didn't work then to call Samsung Support for issues relating to my phone. I'm now reaching out to the community for some answers before I have to switch to a different carrier considering this one doesn't seem to be working anymore. 

My phone is a Samsung Note 5 unlocked GSM phone that I purchased in Canada.  I've had workable service with PM for 2 months now until this morning where I noticed "Emergency Call only". I've restarted my phone, reformated, taken the sim card out etc and still the same issue. I've done the mobile network setting where I selected "Public Mobile" instead it just says unable to connect please try again. I can also see different carriers such as Bell, Wind etc. Right now I have no service and I can't connect to Public Mobile Network. What other methods are available to get this resolved?

13 REPLIES 13

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @james12341,

I am sorry to hear that!

I will send you a private message regarding your log in.

Cheers,

Kalla

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just adding my 2 cents here...

A phone that is blacklisted does not get blacklisted immediately and does not show in the database immediately.

If my phone gets stolen today and I report the phone as such to get it blacklisted, it would still work and would not appear in the database for at least 30 days ( some people say its even more, like 60 days, but I can't confirm )

So people in kijiji can still sell stolen phones for some time before it actually gets blacklisted, they know and exploit this, they even tell you to check in the database to confirm is not blacklisted.

If you are going to buy from Kijiji ask for the original receipt and take a picture of the seller's drivers license just in case ( you probably wouln't be able to do anything with it, but if the seller knowingly is selling you a stolen phone he/she will get scared by this ).

Thank you,

JL

PMuser
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
james1234

It happened to me a similar problem, I know how you feel right now, I feel for you bud.

Word of Caution:

When purchasing Handsets, UNLESS U know the person well, NEVER Purchase from Kijiijii or Daniel Craig's List, They have no safety net adequate enough.

I'd stick to official places to avoid this kind of hasslehoff that can turn honeymoon experiences into disasters, My Own personal opinion

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sorry for your luck @james12341 but at least this company is willing to work with you. Bell is famous for blacklisting phones that were fraudulently bought. Takes a few months to go they the motions but once the account that the phone was linked to goes into default they will add it to the blacklist. Phone works fine for a few months and then NO SERVICE!

Hope you get it all worked out!

james12341

Thank you everyone for your help. Unfortunately I still don't have service but at least I was able to locate the reason for this issue. My phone is blacklisted and I have called in the company that I purchased the phone from I will be able to do an exchange to rectifiy this issue. Thanks again! 

One more thing I'm trying to access my account but it says my log in is disabled. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DK since the phone was working fine until recently, I'm thinking that it's unlikely to be a blacklist.  Hopefully @Kalla_A refreshing his account will have resolved the issue.

@james12341, when you have a moment, can you please update us if your service is now working?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Does someone elses Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile SIM card work?

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @james12341, where did you purchase your Note 5? If it was privately via the classifieds I would check first to see if it hasn't been blacklisted. 

You can go to www.protectyourdata.com and enter the imei to doublecheck. If it isn't you can ask a friend to borrow there sim and just try it in the phone. No need to worry about apn settings as if it picks up a service and can make calls and texts, the phone is good. Also try your sim in a friends phone assuming it's unlocked or a Telus branded unit and see what happens. 

Thats if if the above advice doesn't work. 

Cheers

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @james12341,

I have performed a refresh of your subscription, could you try taking out your SIM card and power cycling your phone again?

Please let me know whether this is unsuccessful.

Cheers,

Kalla

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @james12341,

Since your plan is active, there's obviously a glitch somewhere.

I am alerting @Shazia_K and @Kalla_A to your situation. Each is a community moderator, and one will contact you.

I am now going to compose a private message to you. It will be available to be read in about 5 minutes.

james12341

Yes, it is active. Just checked.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @james12341,

Even though you may be absolutely certain about your plan's status, please login to your self-serve account to see if the status is active or expired. If expired, payment is required.

I will be here another 35 minutes. I look forward to your reply before then.

Martin
Need Help? Let's chat.