cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-sim not compatible after the site saying it was. NEED HELP!!!

sheldon_pro
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Bought a sim card and can't get past activation after e-sim did't work.

26 REPLIES 26

sheldon_pro

Yes can turn the 5G on with it. Android version 13 and NetMonitor 1.19.5 (353) I just downloaded it off  Google Playstore last night

@sheldon_pro you still able to use NetMonitor to turn on?  some said it is not working since the update 

what Android OS you have? and which version of NetMonitor you have?

sheldon_pro

So I found a way of being able to turn on 5G using the NetMonitor App. on Reddit.

Download NetMonitor then go to settings in NetMonitor (3 dots bottom right), then hit service menu and change it from LTE only to NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA. You should have 5G back. Works on all Samsung devices and all versions of Android and OpenUI.

@sheldon_pro 

if you are interested to try reload a different firmware @mtbman has a solution here, at least it works on his S20 Ultra 5G

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/S20-Ultra-no-5G-connectivity/m-p/1046010/...

sheldon_pro

What phone and model is it? If it's a Samsung S20 series then it will not work on Public Mobile or Koodo 5G networks, as this is what I was told from Customer service. But it may work with different providers he said. This is just crazy considering Koodo is still selling S20 series phones and advertising them as 5G compatible.

Good Luck.

sheldon_pro

So this was the outcome and conclusion of the problem I have, Received this back from Customer service.         That is correct, it does, your phone has 5G. I meant that the 5G feature does not work with Koodo or Public Mobile due to older firmware limitations. But it may work with other service providers. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@sheldon_pro- You have the SM-G981W model. That's slightly different from the excellent guide that talks about their SM-G988W. Make sure to use your specific model...as the instructions say. Just make sure.

mtbman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Follow the procedure word for word with no deviations and you should be fine.

I showed my pictures of the end result and the box my phone came in.

I can only show you the door; it is now your turn to open it.

You should be worried. It's very nerve-wracking doing it the first time. I haven't verified those exact steps for any gotchas but it all looks very familiar from when I did a firmware change on my Samsung a couple years ago. It's an excellent reference.

sheldon_pro

So it ends up that PM and Koodo 5G service will not work on S20 phones even know it is a 5G phone, says the PM Customer service agent. That just sounds weird to me. If I do your fix will it work on PM 5G you think? I am just worried about bricking my phone lol...

sheldon_pro

So it ends up that PM and Koodo 5G service will not work on S20 phones even know it is a 5G phone, says the PM Customer service agent. That just sounds weird to me. If I do your fix will it work on PM 5G you think? I am just worried about bricking my phone lol...

mtbman

If you follow my procedure, you will unlock both "5G" and the "esim" capabilities.

sheldon_pro

It's SM-G981W it says it's 5G on box and as soon as I boot the phone 5G shows.

@sheldon_pro @mtbman 

Yes you are correct but it depends if it was made on February 11/20 was without 5G and re-released on March 06/20 with 5G.

I forgot to ask which model number it was.

sheldon_pro

Yes that's what PM site here says as well when i put in my IMEI number but i called Samsung and they said the Canadian versions of the S20 are not e-sim compatible but they are 5G compatible.

mtbman

Follow this:

Big news.....I've figured out how to enable both "5G" and "esim"!

Originally, it bugged me that my S20 Ultra 5G could not use an "esim" even though the hardware is ready for it. In finding the following solution, I enabled the esim manager AND managed to get the "5G" to show up on my S20 Ultra 5G, beyond "LTE+". I take zero responsibility to the phone procedure: if it works on your phone or not. I am only sharing the steps I took as I felt confident in my computer skills to piece together a solution that worked. As far as I am aware, this procedure does NOT "root" your phone so your phone is safe, in case you are worried. This is because an "official" Samsung Firmware will be installed.
  1. Find out what your exact S20 phone is and the respective Samsung model number: https://galaxys20userguide.com/galaxy-s20-model-number-details/#:~:text=Samsung%20Galaxy%20S20%20com... In my case, the S20 Ultra 5G is the SM-G988. 
  2. Download and install the Samsung Android USB Driver for Windows: https://developer.samsung.com/mobile/android-usb-driver.html
  3. Download Frija from here: https://github.com/SlackingVeteran/frija/releases and save the download, preferably somewhere easy to locate (eg. Desktop).
    Extract and "run" Frija.
  4. Type in your S20-series phone's model number into the Model box with "U1" after it. In my case, it would be: "SM-G988U1". In case you are curious, "U1" means "US factory unlocked," which has no branding and full features.
  5. Type in "XAA" into the CSC box. In case you are curious, "XAA" means "USA (unbranded/unlocked/default)".
  6. Hit the "Check Update" button.
  7. Hit the "Download" button and select where to save the U1 firmware, preferably somewhere easy to locate (eg. Desktop).
  8. Download Odin3 from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/odin3-v3-14-1_3b_patched-zip.5158507/ and save the download, preferably somewhere easy to locate (eg. Desktop).
  9. Extract and "Run as Administrator" Odin3. You may choose to follow or ignore the instructions to disconnect your various logins.
  10. Extract the U1 firmware, preferably somewhere easy to locate (eg. Desktop).
  11. Enable Developer Mode by going to "Settings" on your S20-series phone, then "About phone", then "Software information", then tap on "Build information" seven (7) times in rapid succession. Return to "Settings" and then go to "Developer options". Enable "USB Debugging". 
  12. Turn off your S20-series phone.
  13. Press and hold the "volume down" and "power" buttons at the same time to enter "Download Mode"
  14. Connect your phone to the computer and return to Odin3 and it should recognize that your phone has connected.
  15. Click the "BL" button and select the file that starts with "BL".
  16. Click the "AP" button and select the file that starts with "AP".
  17. Click the "CP" button and select the file that starts with "CP".
  18. Click on the "CSC" button and select the file that starts with "HOME_CSC". < THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO SELECT THE "HOME_CSC" FILE AND NOT THE "CSC" FILE. THE "CSC" FILE WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE!!!!!!
  19. Click the "Start" button and wait for the new firmware to be installed onto your S20-series phone.
    Once the installation process is complete, Odin3 will show a green "PASS" text. The phone will automatically restart and boot up.
  20. You can check that it has worked by going to "Settings", then "Connections", and you will see "SIM manager". Furthermore, you can to go to "Mobile networks", then "Network mode" and you can either select "GLOBAL" or "5G/LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)".
Please note that the "5G" logo will show intermittently, only when the conditions/connection actually gets "5G'. If you are worried, you can go to www.fast.com and you can test your download speed. I managed to get around the advertised 250 Mbps so I'm happy, for my needs.

Here are some photos that show that it works!
  1. The box my phone came in:
  2. mtbman_0-1693966626701.jpeg
  3. Here is a picture showing the information on my phone showing the "5G" status and "U1" firmware:
  4. mtbman_1-1693966626683.png
  5. Under "Connections", you can see "SIM manager" pop up:
  6. mtbman_2-1693966626687.png
  7. Using a physical PM SIM card as well as having access to an esim.
  8. mtbman_3-1693966626707.png
  9. Latest software is August 2023, as of the date of this post.
  10. mtbman_4-1693966626696.png
  11. Phone status is "Official", in case you are worried about resale value!
  12. mtbman_5-1693966626677.png
  13. I selected "GLOBAL" but the "5G" option exists now:
  14. mtbman_6-1693966626690.png

Good luck!

mtbman

This is not technically accurate. S20-series can run both esim and "5G".

sheldon_pro

I have been waiting for service agent for about 3 hours now and no reply or help yet.

SK_1969
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need similar help for a new plan that I subscribed for my daughter

@sheldon_pro 

Sorry, 5G are available for Samsung S21 or newer.

Just wait for a CS_Agent to get back to you.

sheldon_pro

Samsung S20

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@sheldon_pro 

What is the make and model of your phone?

Depending on how busy the agents are. They will pm you back up to 2 hours. Keep your eyes on the envelope icon.

@sheldon_pro 

2 - 4 hours is usual. Watch the little envelop icon on top right side of this page will be highlighted when they respond.

sheldon_pro

Could you tell me how long it takes for the CS Agent to reply back to me?

Thanks

sheldon_pro

Thanks 

@sheldon_pro wrote:

Bought a sim card and can't get past activation after e-sim did't work.

I susepct that you're gong to to need to contact a customer support agent to see if they can change this to a physical SIM activation.  Please use the chatbot to open a ticket.

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

If the chatbot show an error message while trying to open a ticket, please send a private message to CS_Agent.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.