cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Sim use in USA

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

Travelling to US soon. Plan on getting add on for talk and text and use an e-sim for data. I'm using a Pixel 5. I have to specify which sim to use for data, which of course will be the esim. If I do this, how will it affect the requirement to have data turned on to send/receive MMS on my PM sim?

12 REPLIES 12

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

@softech wrote:

@kb_mv  Most dual sim phone can set to have one data enabled at a time. So, you will have to manually switch data on with the PM SIM when you need to send MMS or expect to receive MMS.  It is inconvenience, I know.  😞

Just to better understand dual SIM technology:

- Can you have one SIM handling data and another SIM handling calls/SMS?

@Meow short answer yes, the issue is with MMS. To send and receive them you need data turned on for, in this case, PM. Unfortunately only one sim can be set for data use at any given time.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Meow 

Let me put it in practical terms. When I have two active sim cards in my A320 it asks me which is my preferred sim card for each service. I can still send and recieve calls, SMS and MMS on both sim cards but it will prompt me on the non preferred sim card if I want to send or recieve MMS to turn  data on or basically switch the sim card preference for data to send or recieve the MMS. But it will reset the sim using data back to my preference after sending or downloading the MMS  on the nonpreferred sim card, If I want to use  the mobile data on the nonpreferred card then I have to change my preference but I just have to swipe down from the top of my screen to do so.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin 

@Meow wrote:

@softech wrote:

@kb_mv  Most dual sim phone can set to have one data enabled at a time. So, you will have to manually switch data on with the PM SIM when you need to send MMS or expect to receive MMS.  It is inconvenience, I know.  😞

@Meow    for voice on 3G yes, you can have such setup. one sim with 3G voice and SMS and another sim on LTE data.  But MMS still an issue as the "voice SIM" cannot access data  if another sim slot is setup to handle Data

but it will have a problem when using VoLTE.  VoLTE needs data, so, you cannot have one sim with VoLTE and another one on Data.

Most phones on the market now are like this.. can only enable one data channel.. not both

@softech wrote:

@kb_mv voice quality is much better..

no ad (big thumb up)

can call us/canada for free..

it can receive many type of shortcode (vs textnow you need to pay).. but I cannot tell if all Canadian shortcode (like from CA Banks) can send to it as it is a US phone number.  .. but definitely good for 2FA for email services or so

YOu will get a copy of the text/voicemail on Gmail. (very good  🙂 )

You need a US phone number to setup the G Voice.  I know you cannot setup with any VoIP number, but with a prepaid plan, the number should be good (except you might have to worry about that the number will be gone and someone else has the number later)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv

If your pm sim card connects to a US tower it will cancel your call forwarding. @Nezgar was unsure if that applied to just the 3G network or the 4G LTE network as well since you can recieve texts without a roaming add on. So remove you pm sim after call forwarding in Canada to textnow before you could possibly connect to a US tower.

Using Google voice has rave reviews from anyone who has it and it's a shame this option was eliminated for Canadians.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin 

@softech wrote:

remember to get Google Voice with a phone number when you are in US when you have a line to enroll. it's VERY useful.. love it.. i got my text in GMail as well..

@softech How does this compare to TextNow?

@darlicious wrote:

@kb_mv 

How long are you travelling to the US for? Keep in mind your voice service will be severely reduced using a pm US roaming add talk add on due to the decommissioning of the 3G network. Maybe you should reconsider that choice and call forward you pm number to a voip while away and consider a text forwarding app possibly as well?

@darlicious Good point. Maybe I will forgo PM service altogether and just use data. People can always get ahold of me that way. Or I can reactivate my TextNow number and forward PM calls.

remember to get Google Voice with a phone number when you are in US when you have a line to enroll. it's VERY useful.. love it.. i got my text in GMail as well..

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv 

How long are you travelling to the US for? Keep in mind your voice service will be severely reduced using a pm US roaming add talk add on due to the decommissioning of the 3G network. Maybe you should reconsider that choice and call forward you pm number to a voip while away and consider a text forwarding app possibly as well?

@softech wrote:

@softech Thanks. That is a bit of a pain. Maybe I'll go with just US Talk and forgo texting in favour of email.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.