cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual SIM?

Abraham1111
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have a US carrier (Ting) and looking to reside in Canada. I cannot lose my US phone number, however it is too expensive to use in Canada. So I am looking to get a Canadian phone (with Public)

Question: If I order a phone with Dual SIM Cards from overseas (apparently they are not as widely available in Canada/US), would I be able to use Public SIM card? (Along with the US SIM as well)

What are some specifications to keep in mind while I shop for a new phone to ensure it will work properly? Network compatibilities, Frequencies, Bandwith etc...etc...?

Thank you, looking forward to joining your customer base if this all works out!

Abraham

10 REPLIES 10

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Abraham1111 , consider shopping for a Xiaomi brand phone on Aliexpress.  Their global models all work in North America.  There are so many models, should be no problem finding one to suit every budget.  They are all dual physical SIM which I assume will work best for you.  Public Mobile does not offer an e-SIM option.  By the way I have my eye on this phone, just waiting for the 11.11 sale.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003933584588.html?

found out is in the past

find out is now or the future. 

@Timer- Nice googling. Did you read the thread? They don't as of earlier this year.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

iPhones XR and up are dual SIM. 1 slot and 1 Esim.  If that helps. 

@dust2dust 

you need to google it to found out >> eSIM – Ting Help Center

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Timer- Well...that's an opinion. There are many excellent dual-physical-sim phones also available. I'm not sure his Ting offers esim either. Their site doesn't behave all that well for me.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Abraham1111 

look for the best device has Dual SIM (single nano-SIM and eSIM) to buy it Google Pixel 6 Pro - check it Specs.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Abraham1111 

so you need to keep U.S # and canadian number both in one device and you will like to do Call Forwarding from line U.S to canadian line.. i think it's will be works but i'm not sure there from your line U.S any fees will be applied...

frequency bands > http://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/check-your-phones-compatibility

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Abraham1111   make sure you get a phone with the proper bands used in PM, these are the compatible bands

E-Band-Frequency.jpg

Ideally , you should have both B2 and B5 on the 3G network as PM uses them for voice connection.  With LTE, while you don't need to have all of them, it is better to have as many compatible bands as you can find.  

I would stay with bigger brands for the dual sim card phone, maybe Samsung. 

Also, many Canadian phones these days have eSIM (example, iPhone, Samsung S21, S22)  , so, if your US provider allows eSIM, you can just use it for the US provider and the physical sim for PM.  In this case, you can stay with a Canadian model instead of an overseas dual physical sim cards phone.  It usually give you better compatibility with the Canadian provider as that is a true Canadian model   (Please note PM does NOT support eSIM at the moment, so the US provider must be the one using the eSIM in such arrangement) 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You can buy so-called international phones in Canada (I'm sure the US too). Lots of little mom and pop retailers stock them. I'm sure there's a conspiracy there somewhere but I don't know why one can't buy dual-sim phones in chain stores.

Let us know which phone you're narrowing in on and we can help you with the frequencies. Unlike the states, Public is still using 3G for talk. It needs 850 and 1900. Public can also run data on that but it also uses LTE on several frequencies/bands.

Adding - here's an in-depth list

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134299/highl...

Need Help? Let's chat.