cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped calls, leaving PM

JPskier
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have used PM for about 8 years, in the last year the number of calls dropped has changed and it is a real issue. I have changed phones from a Pixel 7 pro to a new Iphone 15 and both have same issues at my house. I have tried locking to PM , 3g, LTE and 5G auto, all settings drop calls. Most times it will drop every few mins. PM has not brought in WiFi calling as a back up. Between the change in rewards and the dropped calls, I am considering moving to Freedom as they now have coverage in my area. I am in Cochrane, AB just outside Calgary. Open to suggestions if anyone knows a fix.

16 REPLIES 16

docbob
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dropped calls all the time. Complete junk.

Kimmm

I was with PM for about 4 hrs. My first and only call was dropped 4 times. I paid 50.00. I wasted much time trying to private message, get support etc. It is terrible service on many levels. I couldn’t get good coverage, so they just took my money and basically said suffer, we don’t do refunds.

magical1

I'm running a non  volte phone and can tell you it doesn't make a difference. 

Steve5439

I lost my data for a few seconds today around the same time period (my SSH session was dropped). This was after not having lost my session for a few days. 

smurfit
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not fixed afterall! I thought the issue was resolved but today I put my sim in a brand new 5g phone that is volte supported and again my calls are dropping. Dropped during afternoon call around 3pm in BC after 9min, 9min45s, and again after 24min. Going back to my pixel 3 I guess and will put this shiny new 5g doorstop back in the box.

Tom22335566

@Steve5439 wrote:

I believe the problem was much more serious than just dropped calls. The dropped call was just a sign your phone was no longer authenticated on the network. At the same time you'd have lost data. Basically like service on your phone was cancelled. The loss of service would last only a few seconds and then come back. Most users probably never noticed this loss of data(many will be using wifi for data quite often). I have an SSH session from my phone to my home that is connected 247. I was seeing it drop a few times a day during the worst of the problem. If I happened to be surfing with my phone when it happened I would be told I was offline, but it would come back seconds later. I believe the entire network was dropping service for all customers here and there. This was a massive flaw/bug/failure of the network. There is a reason they don't want to acknowledge it publicly. It's a huge embarrassment to have such flaws. All customers should be compensated with several months of free service as that is how long this has been going on for.

Steve, as I've stated numerous times on these forums, public mobile is "ok" for text messages and data. but they dropped the ball on voice calls. And you are right, most people aren't noticing drops in the connection on their data. But if you need a truly stable connection for business or anything serious, unfortunately you have to switch to one of the big three. They are still the most stable. All these discount brands are ok for people that want to pay less and who are willing to put up with all this silliness. I switched my wife to FIDO (so 2nd tier) and it is much more stable. Apparently, Koodo is also having issues right now, but parent Telus proper isn't having any issues. I can confirm that Telus was stable as of a month and half ago when I was with them.

Steve5439

I believe the problem was much more serious than just dropped calls. The dropped call was just a sign your phone was no longer authenticated on the network. At the same time you'd have lost data. Basically like service on your phone was cancelled. The loss of service would last only a few seconds and then come back. Most users probably never noticed this loss of data(many will be using wifi for data quite often). I have an SSH session from my phone to my home that is connected 247. I was seeing it drop a few times a day during the worst of the problem. If I happened to be surfing with my phone when it happened I would be told I was offline, but it would come back seconds later. I believe the entire network was dropping service for all customers here and there. This was a massive flaw/bug/failure of the network. There is a reason they don't want to acknowledge it publicly. It's a huge embarrassment to have such flaws. All customers should be compensated with several months of free service as that is how long this has been going on for.

smurfit

It seems that the problem may have been rectified. I have been making lengthy uninterrupted calls for a few days now. A tech was supposed to call me yesterday to follow up but never did. It would be nice to hear something from corporate to acknowledge that there was a problem and that it is now resolved..

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JPskier  check out the attached Tower locator map. If I read them out correctly, the 5G Tower is located near the intersection of Griffin Road and River avenue. Drive there and be within 100 m of the tower to see whether or not you get 5G coverage and do a speed test. If you cannot get 5G or high data speeds, something is definitely wrong.

How far is your house from this Tower? When I talked to Telus tech support yesterday, they advised me that the 5G is best with in 500 m. Outside of a kilometer, the 5G coverage starts to drop off and by 2 km, the 5G coverage is non-existent. 

Good luck.

P.S. The two "towers" located at 1st avenue and 2nd Street appear to be microcells and probably only have a short range of about 200 metres.

1000005164.png

Tom22335566

@Dunkman wrote:

@JPskier 

Public mobile is aware of the issue and escalating the issue with technical teams.  It looks like that it may be a Telus network issues since Telus/Koodo customers are having similar issues.  

Hopefully, it will be resolved in the near future.  

Koodo is having issues too, but not Telus. They are fine. They kept a certain level of capacity on their network for their customers while PM and Koodo customers suffer. 

Tom22335566

@JPskier wrote:

Thanks, I have sent a ticket, will see but have little hope!

your ticket isn't going to do anything. They will "refresh" your network whatever that means but you will still get dropped calls. I've already been through this and so have many others on these forums. PUblic mobile is overloaded with customers and the towers don't have the capacity to handle the load. It is a classic case of too many customers to fast without upgrading the infrastructure. If you need solid voice calling, you will have to switch. My wife has already switched to the $39 Fido 50gig canada plan because she needs reliable voice calling. I'm on the fence, because I don't talk as long as she does but we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that PM can do what they need to do to fix this.

Andy72

I also see lots of dropped calls in last two months, I use same phone in same location. the issue is not fixed even refresh network from PM did not help. we had no issue before VOLTE, they need to fix issue or people leave for another provider, I give it couple of weeks. if not fixed, move to none TELUS provider.

PM instead of focusing on 5G, better to fix very basic functionality which mobile phone suppose to do :making calls.  if we can not make a simple call then rest of features are useless

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@JPskier 

Public mobile is aware of the issue and escalating the issue with technical teams.  It looks like that it may be a Telus network issues since Telus/Koodo customers are having similar issues.  

Hopefully, it will be resolved in the near future.  

smurfit

The only way to resolve the issue for now is to use an older non volte capable phone. Find an hspa 3G flip phone and your calling issues will be resolved. PM's volte rollout is a dumpster fire.

JPskier

Thanks, I have sent a ticket, will see but have little hope!

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Sadly, this is the new Public Mobile. Tons of people, including myself, keep getting dropped calls. There have been zero announcements from Public Mobile on this issue in the Announcement section. People continue to complain. You can create a ticket and complain, not sure what they will do other than try to reset your network from their end.

To Submit a ticket, please click the following link to access the Public Mobile Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type: Customer Service Agent

Chalupa_Batman_0-1717262608340.png

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: I am not a Public Mobile employee. I am a customer just like you. Please do not send me a private message with your personal information. 

Need Help? Let's chat.