cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double charged? Refunds? paying $120 for a service I cannot use?

jimmorrison
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I tried porting my number from Chatr last week, and failed. While checking my account, realized that I was charged by Public Mobile in the process. Well, my account with Chatr Mobile is still active which means they will charge me by the end of this week. Does that mean I have to pay double until I can port my number? Which I doubt will happen anytime soon, literally hundreds of people are posting new threads and none of them is being answered.

I am very frustrated and sick of this, can I just get a refund from Public and keep my other plan? I am paying for a service I can't even use. I know I am not supposed to cancel my old plan until the porting process is complete but I am not going to pay for two plans at the same time. Can I call my bank and reverse the charges? What can I do? 

16 REPLIES 16

jimmorrison

Waiting for the port to be completed, I believe it takes about an hour or two.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
So everything's good now?

jimmorrison

I worked indeed, got a message from the mod as well, thanks!

oilblue99
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Then it's likely a failed activation, and the steps would work. Basically, create the "self-serve" account, rather than sign-in again at https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

Check out the steps. It's not too involved. First thing asked for is "phone number", so you'll get a quick indicator. 🙂

jimmorrison

I can still use my old sim card with Chatr, so no; I don't have any service with PM at the moment. Another problem is I can't even log into Self Serve, can't even reset my password.

oilblue99

@jimmorrison

Do you have service at all? Just thinking we can distinguish between incomplete/failed port and a failed activation (see the "Definitions" on the bottom of this post).

If it's a failed activation, you might be able to kick-start it (see the troubleshooting steps from that same post):

• Verify your credit card was charged (yep)
  • write down the PM number that was assigned (if not a port)
  • after 24 hours (um, yep), register for self-serve. That should generate a verification text. Registration for self-serve was outlined outlined here.

Potentially, that will get a failed activation up and running...

Doesn't help with resetting the start date of the plan, but maybe that can be sorted out later via a Mod.

Hope that helps!

jimmorrison

I guess we will wait and see. It's been over a week and nothing yet.

oilblue99

First, do NOT cancel your existing plan if you want to keep the phone number. The only way to keep the number is to port it over.

Perhaps PM will be able to adjust your start date, in which case you're only paying Chattr right now rather than both PM and Chattr. Fingers crossed on that one.

Speaking of Chattr, if you don't know your account number, be sure to call them and ask for it. Entering the correct Account Number is the best way to port.

Good luck!

jimmorrison

This is absolutely ridiculous. 

I don't think they will credit it back, and honestly I don't want to leave it to chance. 

If I cancel my old plan, would this affect the porting process? 

I can't believe I am losing money while trying to save money. Beyond frustrating. 

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should be tagging a moderator like this @Shazia_K here instead of messaging them privately prob.

jimmorrison

hslee1210

I see where your frustration is coming from.. which you don't have much control over.

If I were you, I would call chatr to let them know that you are in the process of porting and check where they are at. They may understand your situation and may not charge you.

I know it's all waiting game in PM, but did you send a message to one of moderators? If you didn't send one and see when they would be able to assist you. They may be able to make the process faster.

Dantastic

I am in the exact same situation! I don't want to be double-charged for a service I am not receiving!!!

@Shazia_K @Mary_M

Hi. Yes, PM is a Prepaid carrier, and refunds are not permitted

Because of the double charge of your CC, I'm sure PM will credit your account, would be logical

jimmorrison

Funny thing is I can't even log into my Self Serve account, can't even reset my password. 

I understand they can adjust my starting date, but I am about to get charged by other prepaid plan by Chatr, and I can't even cancel that plan because of the porting process. 

hslee1210

There are quite a bit of people who adjusted their plan starting date. i.e, you pay from the day you can use your PM service. But, you still need to talk to moderator to do that.

If your plan kicked in already in the account, they would give you refund because they don't refund any pre-paid service credit is not refundable. (See their terms of agreement).

Hopefully, it can get resolved sooner than later for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.