cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your phone need to be unlocked to use a US roaming add on?

mikeman123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all. My phone is locked to Telus/PM. Want to purchase a US roaming add on for a trip. Can anyone confirm it will still work in the US?

6 REPLIES 6

Phone network locks are based on the brand of sim card inserted in the phone.  The actual carrier that you are connected to makes no difference with respect to that.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can also confirm from experience that my wife's iphone which is locked to Koodo works just fine with PM & also worked just fine in USA when we added a 10 day USA add on a few months ago.

And a great tip from xcameron94x that the add ons are a bit unsual in that they have 2 steps. After paying & adding funds to your account, some folks miss the second step of adding it.

mikeman123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks everyone! Just what I was looking for!

just so you know, adding these add ons are a two step process- The first is to add the funds, the second is to select the add on.

Also you cant stack the US roaming add ons, so if you're going to the states for more than 10 days, you have to buy one and wait unitl it expires before you buy the next add on

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mikeman123, yes it will work.  It would only need to be unlocked if you decided to by a SIM by a US provider to use while you were down there.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Assuming your talking about using a PM roaming package, yes it should absolutely work no problem. Your phone doesn't need to be unlocked unless you want to use another carrier.
Need Help? Let's chat.