cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Phone

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

The new essential phone is going to be a telus exclusive!

http://www.androidauthority.com/andy-rubin-essential-phone-telus-canada-780090/

The phone is made form the creator of android 

6 REPLIES 6

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zhadj030 yes I saw. Tempting as well and an amazing phone for 700 USD but it's physically a bit big for my hands and isn't available in a 128gb model (I'd rather have a second sim then an SD card). Also I prefer OLED over LCD (yes I k ow this one is 120Hz but I'm not a huge gamer). I haven't ruled it out entirely but I think it's behind the OP 5T for me. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren I am putting this just for fun but have you considered The Razor phone that got announced lately .

https://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/mobile/razer-phone

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

So, now that the PH-1 is down to $650 no contact at Telus, what does everyone think?

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/03/essential-phone-now-650-no-term-telus/

I have to admit, this puts it back on my radar.  Since I've finally decided to rule out the LG V30 as my next phone (a bit too pricey for my taste, and would prefer a closer to stock Android experience than LG provides), I've been waiting for the OnePlus 5T to drop.  I was thinking it was the best way to get on board the 18:9 tall screen revolution but with a rock solid OS (I absolutely love OxygenOS on my OnePlus 3) and so on.  I expect the 5T will be more expensive than the 5, as always, but even if it's close to $800 at the 8/128GB configuration, it's still a relative steal compared to the other flagships out there.

And then this morning I see that the PH-1 has dropped to $650, as linked above.  I have to admit it's kind of tempting!  That edge-to-edge display is pretty **bleep** impressive, and a lot chaper than an iPhone X!  (that, and I'm not a fan of iOS--no offense to fans!).  Granted the camera isn't great but it has gotten better through software updates. I don't need an absolute top of the line camera, just a "good enough" one really.  

I dunno.  Thinking about it!  Probably a good $100-150 cheaper than the top end OP 5T will be now with this price drop and supposedly a liquid-smooth user experience, along with that massive display but compact body, making it even more hand-friendly for my smaller hands.

What to do..what to do....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was excited for this phone to be announced, much less so after it was announced.  Here's my list of pros and cons:

Pros:

- Looks pretty sweet

- Nearly bezelless

- Solid basic hardware specs (processor, etc)

Cons:

- No waterproofing

- No wireless charging

- No SD card slot

- No replaceable battery (I know you generally can't have this AND waterproofing, but they don't offer *either*)
- That weird camera cutout

- The price

For about $699 (USD?), no thanks.  But it does sounds like it will be a nice device.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well, with the new annoucement, it might be Telus exclusive, but it won't stay with Telus for very long.

Need Help? Let's chat.