cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does sim swapping require activation every time?

ziojoe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

OK, so this may be an odd scenario, but the question remains.

My wife and I are travelling to the States, we want to be able to call each other, but we don't both need data.  So I'm wondering if we purchased the data plan on her account, and for some reason her phone crapped out, could I simply throw the sim in my phone to start using the data, or would I need to go online and activate it on my phone first?  In case it matters, our phones are identical.

Thanks

Joe

7 REPLIES 7

ziojoe

Thanks, just wanted to be certain.  Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Of course you need to link the account to a sim at activation or if you change the sim that is attached to the account. The IMEI is an option for porting in. It's usually preferred to use the previous account number.

It was the whole idea of using sims. As long as the phone is compatible and unlocked, you can use any sim in any phone anytime you like.

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should be fine switching sims from phone to phone tahst how we test your account when we think it’s the phone or the sim 

ziojoe

Yes, except if I switch the sim into my phone.

ziojoe

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just seem to remember having to register my SIm when I first got each our accounts, and could have sworn there was something to do with my phone.. Like the IMEI or something tied to my phone... would be happy to know I am mistaken 🙂

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@ziojoe wrote:

OK, so this may be an odd scenario, but the question remains.

My wife and I are travelling to the States, we want to be able to call each other, but we don't both need data.  So I'm wondering if we purchased the data plan on her account, and for some reason her phone crapped out, could I simply throw the sim in my phone to start using the data, or would I need to go online and activate it on my phone first?  In case it matters, our phones are identical.

Thanks

Joe

What kind of data plan you talked about? If it is PM US add on data plan that will stick to her account, you can't use it.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes you can swap sims around phones all day long. The services are linked to the sim, not the phone. The phone is merely the transmission method.

Need Help? Let's chat.