cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does changing plans (to 4G or 5G) require changing Rewards program?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 friends on 3G plans who have different requirements but the same question. If they switch to a 4G or 5G plan, can they stay on existing (old, better) rewards program?

In case it matters, one is on $40/5GB (?) and paying probably $33 (>5 years + autopay). Could they switch to the 4G plan at ($39|$34)/20GB and keep their $7/mo Rewards? It's worth it (especially for 90 days version) if they still get $7/mo, but if they only get $1.95/mo in Public Points, not so much. I guess a Point is worth $1, so they'd get $10 every year (83c/mo) for Loyalty? I don't remember all the details for PP as my advice at the time was don't take it if you have a choice. 🙂 They probably wouldn't have a reason to switch back, so even with PP it could be very slightly cheaper on the 90 day cycle (but changing is always a chance for something to wrong).

The other is on $25/1GB and paying $14/mo (pre-Telus so 9 years [?] & autopay & referrals). They are hoping to switch to the $50/40GB Canada-US plan (not the 60GB) while on extended vacation, then switch back to $25/1GB (if offered). For them, if the new plan means giving up Rewards it's really not worth it because the first $7 Rewards (Loyalty & Autopay) would become $1.25. They would either get a US carrier, or maybe sign up for PM's $50 plan as a new customer while keeping their existing in place.

Bottom line, does changing plans today now mean switching from Rewards to Points, or do you still have a choice?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

cartoon-teachable-moment.gif

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hello.

It`s been more than 24 hours since your last reply, therefore this conversation thread will now be closed.

Our favorite chatbot SIMon is available 24/7 to answer your questions.

Kindly, 
Clau- CS agent

I don't see anything in this thread that requires the assistance of a customer support agent.  Please take note that thread isn't a ticket.  This is thread is in the open message forum.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello.

It`s been more than 24 hours since your last reply, therefore this conversation thread will now be closed.

Our favorite chatbot SIMon is available 24/7 to answer your questions.

Kindly, 
Clau- CS agent

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello.

The previous agent is off duty now. My name is Clau and I am happy to assist you from now.

Sure no worries, I see where you are coming from.

Kind regards,   
Clau-CS agent

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm on the old plan $15 for my child.  They don't use the calling feature much just texts so it works best for us.   5 years now paying around $9 month. Works for us. Will not switch voluntarily 😁😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, i also meant to ask, there's no difference in SIMs between their 3G and newer 4G or 5G plans (IOW they don't need a new SIM)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both. I thought it was possible they'd be forced, because sometimes grandfathered plans can lose their benefits when you switch (e.g. at the bank). And no one would ever change from Rewards to Points voluntarily (I think, from my old analysis).

So the one on $40/5GB@3G (=$33) could go to $34/20GB@4G (90 days) and pay $27.

And the one on $25/1GB@3G (=$14) could go to $50/40GB@5G (=$39) (incl US voice text and data) and then back to $25/1GB@3G (=$14) later.

That seems worth it in both cases (for different reasons). 🙂

Changing plans does not change the rewards/points system.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

NO! Your reward are tied up with your Account not plan. SO if you are on old reward program ($$) if you change plan rewards will stay the same. UNLESS YOU switch to Points...

Need Help? Let's chat.