cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think Public Mobile will ever transition from 3G speeds to LTE speeds?

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that at some point in the future if Public Mobile will transition their speeds from 3G to LTE once the main carriers have mostly moved onto 5G speeds and that becomes the mainstream. I am aware that the 3G speeds now technically are LTE connections with a 3Mbps speed cap. Basically, will Public Mobile just have their speeds 1 generation/tier below the top speed/network tier? When LTE was the top network connection, 3G was just once level below, but now with 5G making it's way to be the norm, the 3G connection is falling to 2 levels below the top.

25 REPLIES 25

MarcGSR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@computergeek541 Speeds aside, from your experience, does LTE or 3G offer a more stable network? Or does it depend more on the carrier than the actual network technology?

Asher2

I just prefer it because 3mbps is showing its age. And even if the 3mbps is enough for browsing and stuff like that, switching to 3G isn’t a problem right? It’s still the same but with faster speeds, even if its the same, I would still rather have a faster network rather then a throttled network.

@MarcGSR wrote:

@computergeek541 Speeds aside, from your experience, does LTE or 3G offer a more stable network? Or does it depend more on the carrier than the actual network technology?

Stable network:  LTE, whether that's because of better handling of customer capacity or because of potential 700MHz frequencies

Unfortunatley, for phone calls, the HSPA network must be used, so there's no choice about network when it comes to voice.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BasesLoadedWalk 

5G is the big three's sucker network no one really needs those speeds ( industry maybe)  its just another keeping up with the jones' or maybe the kardashians marketing tactic. Its their way to justify keeping mobile and internet prices high and the shareholders happy. Telus customers get 5G, koodo gets 4G and pubilc mobile gets what they have....they may offer the choice of 4G LTE throttled and full 4G LTE as some of its customers still have in their grandfathered plans and to keep a larger portion of their customer base. Theres no point in offering bigger and better and more expensive to pm customers when an attractive migration offer does that trick with no additional investment in "infastructure". 

How about speculating on when they will fix the autopay bug or the lost/stolen rewards glitch?

@MarcGSR I was having issues with losing my LTE connection in and around the house. it would show a good signal 3-4 bars, but have no connection. I've since factory reset my device and it's been better. I've even been seeing LTE+ more often again. I would have to say at pm, HSPA/3g is the more consistent and stable network. 

BasesLoadedWalk

@MarcGSR wrote:

@Asher2 why do you prefer the 3G network over LTE? You mention latency.

Is 3mbps, that PM offers, not enough while on the go? Light web browsing/reading, podcasts/music streaming, push notifications/email. Reserve your heavy downloading like app updates and HD video viewing for when you're on WiFI at home/work.

As someone already mentioned, even Websites are getting more and more data intensive, so 3Mpbs is starting to show it's age and becoming a bit clunky. I'd be fine if that could be upped to even 10Mbps. There are also times where I'm trying to show people photos from my cloud storage and that takes a while with Public compared to a full LTE connection.

BasesLoadedWalk

@darlicious wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk 

5G is the big three's sucker network no one really needs those speeds

In 1999 when I got cable internet, I remember people saying the same thing about "who needs 1 Mbps when 128 kpbs ADSL loads websites just fine". (Keep in mind, in the late 90's websites were primarily mostly text based).

@BasesLoadedWalk 

Yes but how much faster do you need to download a movie? To your phone? There will always be people that want bigger, faster, shinier and that is their choice to the glee of the bean counters who answer to the shareholders and need to justify to the federal government the high fees.

BasesLoadedWalk

@darlicious wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk 

Yes but how much faster do you need to download a movie? To your phone? There will always be people that want bigger, faster, shinier and that is their choice to the glee of the bean counters who answer to the shareholders and need to justify to the federal government the high fees.

I don't know many people who will use up their data bucket to download a movie. I'm even cautious about using any video streaming services on mobile data.

However, the point is that in day to day, regular use, 3Mbps is starting to show it's age...even on just standard websites. A lot of business on today's internet is cloud based, so downloading pdf's, document files, pictures, etc chug along at 3 Mbps.

@BasesLoadedWalk 

Luckily if i have that issue i just use my other $10 50/50 account and its full 4G LTE* speed to handle that kind of task. 😉

*I did say eventually I see pm offering this option again.