cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling Voicemail

Matthew_P
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I am a recently new member of Public Mobile. After a somewhat smooth transition from the previous carrier I noticed there is constantly a voicemail notice. I have never used voicemail in over 10 years and I don't intend on starting now. 

I have read the posts about setting the voicemail to extended leave and not allowing messages and I would like to take this one step further.

Does Public Mobile allow the option to completely cancel voicemail? If not is Public Mobile able to set up their voicemail like Rogers where as long as you don't do the initial voicemail setup no one can leave you messages? 

There is TOO MUCH TELEMARKETERS out there to have voicemail on a cell phone now. It's been about a week now and I am sure I have 5+ spam voicemails. 

If I am unable to disable the voicemail I will be forced to look for another carrier so I REALLY hope this can be resolved within Public Mobile.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thank you,

Matthew

8 REPLIES 8

dboxtvinfo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

i do not have the phone can i do this here without phone==== Try to "disable" voicemail, by dialing *004*8080000000#

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Matthew_P wrote:

There is TOO MUCH TELEMARKETERS out there to have voicemail on a cell phone now. It's been about a week now and I am sure I have 5+ spam voicemails. 

You are not alone... We all get unwanted calls and if phone is off they end up in voicemail.

There is official guide by PM how to disable voicemail as provided in one of the links above.

Or you can forward your phone number to some funny numbers like 808 000 0000 - since Public Mobile doesn't actually allow call forwarding to US numbers, it will result in a fast-busy to the caller.

Not setting up voice mail will Not stop anybody leaving voicemail in your mailbox. I had that situation and then had to call from my cell phone to set mailbox in order to access it and delete spam.

If you are on a $15 plan, you can always access your vmail from another phone avoiding using your outgoing minutes.  But you HAVE to set up your vmail in order to do that...

No need to be upset. We are all in this together 🙂

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I believe my solution was along the lines of what Softtech  suggested above. It rings about 5 times and then give the caller a busy signal . 

No complete call ...so no air time  involved  for anyone .

I just wondered if I was understanding that article  correctly  . It just always seemed greedy to me that the PM suggestion was to complete the call .

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@barndoor  I was simply giving the option of the official method as provided by pm and by enabling the extended absence greeting but recording a blank message ie 1 second of silence and then disabling the ability to leave voicemail as per instructions. 

Or my original suggestion was to change call forwarding numbers to a USA number, which won't go through in effect disabling the voicemail option.

How did you set up yours to act disabled?

Edit I've never tried either option so I don't know the results. Just going by past conversations in the community.

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo 

Not sure why everything has to be so ambiguous around here .  My understanding of what that article says is that  the people calling will get a greeting of some kind suggesting that a call has been completed .... is that correct ?

I'm quite happy with the way mine works where it acts "disabled" and no call is completed  period . 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Matthew_P  there might be a new option to disable , but  change the  call forwarding number in your phone to a different number, iirc setting it to a USA number works and is the same as disabling it 

Edit here are the pm Instructions basically have a blank extended absence greeting and turn off leaving messages 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/add-an-extended-absence-greeting

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Matthew_P   Try to "disable" voicemail, by dialing *004*8080000000#
This will cause all calls to either ring forever or get fast busy at the point they normally would have been diverted to the voicemail system.

Need Help? Let's chat.