cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data was used up on YouTube but Youtube was turned off in apps selected for data.

Creepy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I didn't realize that my wifi had a poor connection and somehow watched Youtube using my data. The thing is, I have mobile data-only apps turned on and Youtube is not one of the selected apps. I was just wondering why my data was used.

10 REPLIES 10

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Creepy wrote:

The thing is, I have mobile data-only apps turned on and Youtube is not one of the selected apps. 

My wife did this inadvertently, quickly using up her plan data plus 2GB of her free 5GB promo from a year ago.

Yikes!!  😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creepy 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges..

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@Creepy wrote:

The thing is, I have mobile data-only apps turned on and Youtube is not one of the selected apps. 

Your wording sounds to me as though you selected mobile ONLY, IE: Do not use wifi.

Maybe check again? My wife did this inadvertently, quickly using up her plan data plus 2GB of her free 5GB promo from a year ago.

AE_Collector

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Creepy  Maybe Wifi Assist or Adaptive Wi-fi was enabled?  They are features on iPhone or Android that switch the connection to mobile data when there is a week Wifi Signal.  Make sure the feature is turned off

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Creepy - 

You may need to check those settings you have selected in your apps for youtube, ensure all is disabled for background data usage. Do this for youtube, as well as the other apps on your phone.

My suggestion, is, best practice would be to toggle off your Data option on your device; then ONLY turn it on when you need it.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Creepy 

Anything with video or high resolution photos is a mobile data killer. A quick scroll looking for a particular photo in my Google photos will eat thru 100mb in a couple of minutes. How do I know? Because my data warning goes off (set at 100/250mb) and my data will just shut off at 150mb (data limiter) so I don't ever have to learn a costly lesson and burn thru a couple of hundred $$ worth of add on data.

Click on the spoiler to learn how to prevent your next plan data party pooper parade?!!

Spoiler

Here is some more tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Creepy wrote:

I didn't realize that my wifi had a poor connection and somehow watched Youtube using my data. The thing is, I have mobile data-only apps turned on and Youtube is not one of the selected apps. I was just wondering why my data was used.

In general, as long as there is no wifi, if you have your mobile data turned on, any apps, unless you specified for them never to connect to mobile data, will automatically connect to whatever network connection is available by default.  If your mobile data is on, then it will connect to the mobile data.  Youtube is no exception.   The "mobile data-only apps" setting actually means the opposite in that those apps that you put under this setting will never use wifi to connect and will always use mobile data to obtain network connection even when wifi is connected.  Youtube is not one of them, so it will just use whatever network connection is available.  So if you want your apps to always use wifi and to never use your data, you need to do the opposite.  You need to first turn "mobile data" off and then specify all the apps to use wifi only for connection.  Just be mindful that if there is no wifi, then you won't be able to use these apps and you won't be able to get notifications and such from them either.

Hope this helps. 

@Creepy wrote:

To me, this sounds as if it could be a phone issue. Do yiou know for sure if the Wi-Fi connection was poor. Although there could be possible mistake in the Pubilc Mobile data counter, your account only reports the data that has been used. There may also be another app on your phone that used background data.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Creepy  when you say YouTube is not one of your selected apps. Do you mean that you went through all your settings and turned off all data towards YouTube? Such as not only restricting data but also background data for YouTube?

There are other settings you need to adjust on your phone to. And since you mentioned you did not realize you had a poor wifi connection. Who knows what you were on, browsing or doing thinking it was using wifi where  it was actually using your data. You may have had phone updates, using text features like iMessage ( iPhone) , RCSS (android) .etc.  

You should go through your settings and find Wi-Fi+ (maybe called Wifi Plus) and turn that setting off. As that will automatically switch you to data when your wifi signal is weak, poor connection, or problems with network.

There is also another setting on your phone (I am talking android phones no idea about iPhones).. It is usually in developer options. If you're unsure how to get access to developer options google is your friend. Once you gain access you should look for "Mobile data always active" or something along those line like Mobile data always on and turn that setting off to.

Screenshot_20220121-021252_Settings.jpg

If you're unsure if you adjusted all settings to ensure that zero data will be used unless you want it to. I'd suggest that you simply turn off data all together when using wifi. It still may not completely save your data if things like Mobile data always on is still on but it will help.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Creepy 

If you login to your Self Serve account under View My Usage. It will have the breakdown of all your data usage and calls.

I did the same when I was testing the speed of the different locations around the house and it kept on switching from wifi to data without me noticing it was on LTE.

Best thing to do is switch off data on your cellular setting if you are not sure.

Need Help? Let's chat.