cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage account error

Jazz37
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Recently I noticed 176.511/1024 MB of my $0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 1 GB Add-on was used even though I still had lots of data in my 500MB + 500 MB  normal data plan. I have never gone over & have always topped up!  I am saving my free data for our remote cabin to be used this summer 2020. 

☀️HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

12 REPLIES 12

@Pawprints1986  I suppose it depends on your phone but despite sending at least 35 MMS since I did a data test on saturday and my data hasnt budged since then.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious MMS on android  likely does count as usage on your device itself, but won't on your self serve account. Depending how much people send that could be why it differs. My old device and plan included no data but I could use MMS for free, but on my device it did measure as used data even though I made sure I was already in working Wi-Fi zone before even turning data on to send or receive an MMS

@Pawprints1986  MMS does not use data it only requires data to be enabled. However if @Jazz37 is using an iPhone I message does use data. This is a perfect example of why I recommend taking screenshots of your overview page before and after renewal to help narrow down account issues. The screenshots would be able to pinpoint when add on data was consumed.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Would sending picture texts for some reason have used up part of the data ?It's not supposed to count as data at all though but... Stranger things have happened? Just a possible idea for you

@geopublic wrote:

Please note that if your data ran out you would not get a text from Public because of the data add-on on your account.

It has presently been observed (since at least January) that *no* data usage warnings are sent while a data add-on is present on the account. No notification when your base data is fully consumed, and possibly no notification when your add-on data is consumed.

This makes it extremely easy to go over your base plan data and be completely unaware. @Jazz37 Most likely went over 1GB in one of the months since December without any notification whatsoever.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jazz37 wrote:

Recently I noticed 176.511/1024 MB of my $0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 1 GB Add-on was used even though I still had lots of data in my 500MB + 500 MB  normal data plan. I have never gone over & have always topped up!  I am saving my free data for our remote cabin to be used this summer 2020. 

☀️HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

@Jazz37  The 1 GB add-on only kicks in whenever your plan data runs out. Please note that if your data ran out you would not get a text from Public because of the data add-on on your account.

My guess is at some point your plan ran out of data and the 177 MB was used.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Jazz37 Check all your data usage history back from when you received this addon. Probably, you reached your plan data limit at some point. If not, contact with mods through SIMON on bottom right - ? mark. Click on it and follow directions to create a ticket.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Jazz37 wrote:

☀️HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

You will have to look all the way back to when the gift data was given and go through all of usage since then to see where you had used all your plan data and dipped into the gift add-on

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Jazz37 wrote:

☀️HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

Are you able to take screenshots and of the dates throughout the months? I guess if you are asking this now that would be a no. This might be a question for SIMon

Can you go back to previous months and see your usage? 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Jazz37 that is very odd is it possible you used some last cycle after using all your allotment for that period?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Jazz37  please check your usage history for the period in question. If you still feel that an error occurred then contact the Moderators and ask them to cjeck it for you. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on "Account specific question" and  "No I want a human" and "Submit a ticket Click me!")
Once connected, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.