cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speeds in low coverage areas

Janedrew
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I was thinking of switching to from telus  to public mobile. My service is pretty poor where I am. So my data is rarely LTE speed. Would it be any slower for me? 

9 REPLIES 9

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Janedrew wrote:

Hi, I was thinking of switching to from telus  to public mobile. My service is pretty poor where I am. So my data is rarely LTE speed. Would it be any slower for me? 

@Janedrew FYI: 3G vs LTE https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Janedrew if your coverage is pretty bad now, It'll be worse with public mobile... public uses only 3g/HSPA for voice. public doesn't support volte(voice over LTE). there's a good chance it's going to be worse..

you have 2 options:

• go ahead with public mobile because of the savings, but you will most likely need to purchase a cell phone booster. it will need to support bands 2(1900mhz) & 5(850mhz)
  • go with lucky mobile because they have wifi calling with similar prices and use the same network as public mobile, Telus/bell etc. they also have esim

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Janedrew Nope. If you look at Telus’s coverage, it’ll be the exact same as Public Mobile because Telus owns Public. Speeds with Public will be 3G speeds but Telus will be LTE speeds, but the coverage will be the exact same really good coverage.

Stews
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, Public Mobile (PM) uses Telus repeater towers, so your speeds will remain the same. In fact PM is Telus discount carrier.  I'v been with PM for 2 years now and have never had any issues.  I cut my cell bill down to a 1/3 of the cost with a much better plan.  hope this helps with your decision. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Janedrew wrote:

Gsm or Rogers is just as bad here.

I read somewhere that PM only uses 3/5 bands or something. I don't want to lose any signal. I'm okay if my service is equally as crappy as before.

Rogers is turning off GSM(2G) in a few days if Rogers does not postpone it again.

Well, you are too far away from big city/town.  You can install a signal booster in your house.  But the signal booster will not help you if you are out and about shopping, visiting friends or working at office.

Janedrew
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Gsm or Rogers is just as bad here.

I read somewhere that PM only uses 3/5 bands or something. I don't want to lose any signal. I'm okay if my service is equally as crappy as before.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Janedrew wrote:

PM service is on the Telus network.  Since Telus and Bell are sharing their towers across Canada, i.e. Telus customer in eastern Canada it using Bell towers.  Bell customers in western Canada is using Telus towers.  Therefore, if you do not get a good signal while your are currently with Telus, you will get the same signal strength where you are with PM or Bell.  

Options:

1.  Before you make the decision to leave Telus, call Telus to determine whether they are working on improving the service at your area.  If the answer is yes, you can stay with Telus or move to PM.

2.  You can ask your friends who are using Rogers in the same general area where you are in about their signal.  Sorry, I hate to telling Telus/PM subscribers to go somewhere else.

@Janedrew  Public Mobile is LTE throttled to 3g speed. Meaning 3mbs. 

Telus owns Public Mobile and Koodo. So reception wise would be the same.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Janedrew 

I'm guessing it would be hardly noticeable, unless your needing data for high use applications.

Need Help? Let's chat.