cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speed error

rwilson10694
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am paying for 4G but my phone says the network is 3G. Why is that?

10 REPLIES 10

Wayworn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was under the impression that if you’re on a 4g plan you should select LTE and that would speed up the phone because it won’t be searching for 5G first and also save battery life. Am I wrong?

According to my google search -another limitation to 5G ------------------->Can 5G Wi-Fi penetrate walls? Although 5Ghz Wi-Fi can go through your walls, the signals will get blocked or weakened by obstacles like ceilings, floors, and walls. Hence, 5G Wi-Fi doesn't contain reliable wall penetrating ability.

Wayworn_0-1720798765230.png

@rwilson10694 , actual data speed performance is the result of many factors, local network congestion, your hardware, signal strength, etc.  if you purchased a 4G speed plan, that means Public Mobile has limited your data speed to a maximum of 100 mbits/s.  Regardless of other factors affecting data speed, you will be limited to the 100 mbits/s.  Generally, I would suggest not fretting about mobile data speed as it's performance is in most circumstances better than Wi-Fi performance.  

@rwilson10694  Glad it's working now!  My iPhone 13 has the options 5G Auto, 5G On, LTE (which is 4g for this purpose) and 3G.  I leave it on 5G auto and it spends most of its time on LTE.

rwilson10694

Never been to that screen before. The 3G box is active. There is no 4G box, so I clicked on the 5G box which was/is available. The phone now displays 5G, but that cannot be the true speed. Hmm. Welcome to iphone 15 Plus I guess. It only shows what's in that screen. Thank you much. We'll close this one.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rwilson10694 wrote:

It's Apple iPhone Plus and I've already restarted it.

Plus isn't detailed enough to determine which phone it is, we would need the number that comes before that. You may need a software update.

rwilson10694

I live in a large urban area. 5G is available. The phone is using "Public Network" and it is set to 'automatic'. I checked all that.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@rwilson10694   If an iPhone go Settings - Cellular - Cellular Data Options - Voice and Data and make sure it is set to 4G/LTE.  If Android try Settings - Mobile Network - Preferred Network Mode or something like that and make sure it's set right.

rwilson10694

It's Apple iPhone Plus and I've already restarted it.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@rwilson10694 

What make and model is your phone so we can help you with the settings on your phone?

@rwilson10694 wrote:

I am paying for 4G but my phone says the network is 3G. Why is that?

All Public Mobile plans allow access to the same networks.   This coudl be a matter of network availability in your area, or it could be a compatibility issue.  Enture that your device's setting are set to automatically select the best network.

Need Help? Let's chat.