cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data really slow

Fashionmayhem
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My LTE data is registering on fast.com at 1.3Mbps. That is not ok. I need it to be fast like I paid for. How can we correct this?

16 REPLIES 16

@Fashionmayhem PM has caused a lot of confusion with their marketing. All of PM's plans, whether "3G" or "4G", can access the LTE network. The main difference is "3G" plans are throttled to 3 Mbps, while "4G" plans are throttled to a much higher speed like 100 Mbps.

Fashionmayhem

How old of a plan do you mean? When I’m not on wifi my phone mostly says LTE up by the bars, sometimes it switches and says 3G. So I must have LTE?

@Fashionmayhem you didn't switch plan? so which plan you are on?? 

If you are on one of those older plans, then you have 3G speed plan.  Getting as much as 3Mbps is correct.  3G speed plan can only go up to 3Mbps and could be slower at different area.    

If you need higher speed, maybe check those 4G speed plans

Fashionmayhem

There are lots of times I can’t move to get better reception. My phone is an iPhone XS Max and my friend who is having the same problem has an iPhone 13 Pro. 

@Fashionmayhem   Sorry but all you can do is try your phone in another location and hope it gets better.   Also the type of phone you use makes a big big big difference. 

dejavu89
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you, will give it a shot

Fashionmayhem

I have not switched plans and I’ve chronically had this issue. I’ve tested on multiple speed tests in multiple locations. Highest was 3Mbps. 

Fashionmayhem

It says 1.96Mbps

@Fashionmayhem when did you make the plan change?  It can take as many as 48 hours for the need speed to come

And try the speed test at a different area

also, make sure your preferred network is set at  LTE or 4G

Fashionmayhem

Sure but I can’t even use some apps and I couldn’t download load a menu to use at a restaurant. My friend with Public Mobile with me also couldn’t and our friends with other providers all could no problem. 

Fashionmayhem

I have not. Thanks!

@dejavu89   I find that the Google speed test to be reliable too and uses up a lot less of your data in the process.  Give it a try.

Fashionmayhem

I don’t have another phone to try. Also my friend with Public has the same issues. On Ookla it says 3Mbps. Still very low. Thanks!

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@Fashionmayhem 

Your speed is going to depend on the amount of traffic going on during that time or time of day.

So it's going to vary and jump around a lot during the day.  Your not being ripped off.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Fashionmayhem   Did you do a recent plan change to one of the 4G plans from a 3G one?  If so, then it can take upto 48 hours for the speed change to take effect.

dejavu89
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just for diagnostic purpose, can you try your sim in a different phone (if possible?)

Edit: How are you checking your speed? Speedtest by Ookla is the most reliable IMO.

Need Help? Let's chat.